Trolls and Bullies on Internet Forums

garnetsilver

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
I swear, PNF has me spoiled for posting in other places. :D

Just yesterday I dipped into a new forum and saw how quickly people will gang up on someone when all they did was share a problem and ask for advice. The poor woman never had a chance. I decided against becoming a permanent member, after seeing that. What is with people? Has anyone else felt toxic after visiting other forums?

Many have told me this same experience, Garnet. That is why I fight so hard to keep our forum a safe place for everyone. I'm not out to make money nor am I looking to have the most members or extreme topics to draw people, which is what most forums are designed to do.

It's a sad time in our world when people have forgotten how to be civil and kind.

I swear, PNF has me spoiled for posting in other places. :D

Just yesterday I dipped into a new forum and saw how quickly people will gang up on someone when all they did was share a problem and ask for advice. The poor woman never had a chance. I decided against becoming a permanent member, after seeing that. What is with people? Has anyone else felt toxic after visiting other forums?
People like that really urinate me off. If you can't or don't want to help, just be quiet.

I think the world could be a better place, if people responded with love and understanding instead of exercising their poorest instincts. I have always believed that whenever we are confronted with something we get two choices on how to respond. If it is a trying situation, our first instinct might not be the best one. Like that cartoon with the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. Lots of people have forgotten that angel.

Luckily, i have never tried any other forum or platform. I have though witnessed peoples cruelty and insensitivity towards others. It is a shame people resort to that behavior and even worse that it seems to be growing in frequency. To turn a blind eye to someone who needs help just never made sense to me. Every decision may not have been the right one, but displaying just the effort to try could turn things around.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Yes, this is all too common and has been for as long as the internet has existed.
I ran a few forums dating back to the late 90s and there are always cliques. Even the best forum admins have their favorites. I always did. And it is tough to reign in your own gang when they go rogue.

Certain forum members become friends, some even like family.
It's important (especially today) to have a safe place where a person can go, relax and just have conversations without feeling as though they might be attacked. That's what we have here with this forum.

Yes, this is all too common and has been for as long as the internet has existed.
I ran a few forums dating back to the late 90s and there are always cliques. Even the best forum admins have their favorites. I always did. And it is tough to reign in your own gang when they go rogue.

Certain forum members become friends, some even like family.
It's important (especially today) to have a safe place where a person can go, relax and just have conversations without feeling as though they might be attacked. That's what we have here with this forum.
a lot of forums back then, the late 90's, were like the wild west....lol...many usenet forums were unmoderated and it took thick skin to participate. people can still be harsh and cruel but forums have come a long way in the past 20 years since then....of course now the direction of forums seems to be through social media such as facebook and even youtube to an extent,...

Trolls and such seem to believe that they are somehow not accountable for what they do under an anonymous user name. So, when they are rude or downright nasty to people on the internet, I just remember that what goes around, comes around.

Reactions: Selectric and Paulm
Many have told me this same experience, Garnet. That is why I fight so hard to keep our forum a safe place for everyone. I'm not out to make money nor am I looking to have the most members or extreme topics to draw people, which is what most forums are designed to do.

It's a sad time in our world when people have forgotten how to be civil and kind.
I am greatly appreciative for this safe haven!

Reactions: Selectric and Paulm