Things Change....Food Edition

I actually have always liked nearly everything except liver...still don't like that but there are a ton of things that I just wasn't exposed to back then that I just love now. Chinese food is probably near the top of that list. We ate tons of Mexican, Italian and, Cajun food but there just weren't many people of Oriental descent there until the Vietnamese were shipped there by the thousands at the end of the Vietnam war. Now they are everywhere and their version of "Chinese" food is about as "Texan" as Mexican food! GREAT STUFF with a heavy bit of the Texan love of HOT spicy food.

Real Mexicans new to Texas usually avoid most of the "Mexican" restaurants like the plague. Evidently, they don't all have a great tolerance and appreciation for the glory of all things muy Caliente. Around my house, no table is set for dinner that doesn't have sliced onions and jalapenos on the table. They are like salt and pepper!!!

My mom steamed them or cooked them in a crock with butter. The only way to make them in my opinion is to roast them in the oven. They are crispy and delishious
Yes. A thousand times. Boiled sprouts dumped on a plate are vile. It took my wicked stepmother, of all people, to show me that they are only as bad as the preparation. I'm still glad I never had to live with her though. Sprouts, spirits, John Carpenter movies starring Kurt Russel and Jerry Anderson shows were the only things we saw eye to eye on. I'm glad she's out of my dad's life now!

Reactions: Lynne
I love mushrooms and hated them as a kid. I tolerated them on a pizza cuz I could pick them off...lol
That too. Eating them seemed so disgusting, but they were just out of my comfort zone. Eating almost anything is disgusting if you think to hard about it and the smell and taste were just pungent and filthy, but now I'm older I love food that's disgusting in the right way!

And so to mine: Cheese with actual veins of blue or green mold in them that stink the house out and are just shy of being a biological weapon. I've gone from 'why would any sane person eat that???' to 'Why would any sane person eat that??? Who cares. That's for those boring sane people who will never know what they are missing!'

• Haha
Reactions: 7Critter
I didn't like asparagus when younger until I tried it. It was sauteed but delicious.
I don't like asparagus. I first tried it when a woman I was friends in a might lead to something more way served me asparagus along with a the movie Perfume for breakfast. I liked the movie but hated the asparagus no matter how hard I tried and I can't help but feel it spoiled things between us. So I went from not knowing it to having a chip on my shoulder about it.

Last edited:
Eggplant? Yuck.
I've never tried it, but the name! We call them aubergines. There are may cases where the American version makes sense, but this is not one of them! As a kid, I wondered about references to eggplant. It's the most baffling name ever. Eggs as fruit from a plant? Can't be. It must vaguely eggy though,,, No. Nope! It's aubergine. And I sort of love that! Thanks for the irrational madness, America. It's good to know that that American English can also be insane at times. Now I just have to eat the thing...

Last edited: