The "S" word

I love snow when I don’t have to drive. It is beautiful before Christmas. However I hate the cold.
I have to say I agree about the cold. Lately, winters here have had only about one or two snowfalls per year instead of a proper winter, but the cold has been going down into single digits, which I absolutely dislike because you can't even crack a window open.

Much as I hate the cold I love snow, the more the better. The best winter ever was when an army neighbor built an igloo for the kids. When all snow around had melted and it was still there, all the kids had great fun smashing it up for a snowball fight. I couldn't believe anyone knew how to build an igloo, I don't even know how to build a snowman.

Much as I hate the cold I love snow, the more the better. The best winter ever was when an army neighbor built an igloo for the kids. When all snow around had melted and it was still there, all the kids had great fun smashing it up for a snowball fight. I couldn't believe anyone knew how to build an igloo, I don't even know how to build a snowman.
In 1967, I was just a kid when the big blizzard hit. 4 feet of snow fell fast and whipped around in 55 mph winds. Snow even covered the entry doors of many homes. The fun part was it hit on my birthday! My sister and I tunneled out and had a "rabbit warren" of snow forts in the back yard. And it was a big back yard. Stayed that way for quite awhile.

In 1967, I was just a kid when the big blizzard hit. 4 feet of snow fell fast and whipped around in 55 mph winds. Snow even covered the entry doors of many homes. The fun part was it hit on my birthday! My sister and I tunneled out and had a "rabbit warren" of snow forts in the back yard. And it was a big back yard. Stayed that way for quite awhile.

That sounds really cool fun. Even at my age, if we had that much snow, yep, you'd see me in about a week when the snow forts melted. :)

In 196, I was just a kid when the big blizzard hit. 4 feet of snow fell fast and whipped around in 55 mph winds. Snow even covered the entry doors of many homes. The fun part was it hit on my birthday! My sister and I tunneled out and had a "rabbit warren" of snow forts in the back yard. And it was a big back yard. Stayed that way for quite awhile.
I was born in that blizzard:cool:
The Chicago blizzard of 1967. My Dad had one heck of a story about that day. He took my mom to the hospital and then had a double back to get some clothes.
The roads were all closed and he couldn't get back to the hospital. He had to pull off of the side of the road and set up shop in a bar. Where he proceeded to play cards for several days.
Dad was a very very smart man. He was at the bar early and cashed a check ( that was gambling money) and then he hoarded the toilet paper.:p
Family lore.

Last edited:
The best winter ever was when an army neighbor built an igloo for the kids.
We used to do that when we had enough of a snowfall. Our driveway was long and wide, so we would shovel to one spot to make a mountain of snow, pack it down, let it harden overnight, then dig an entrance and hollow it out. That was our version of an igloo. We would also build forts using the side of the house as the back.

IMG_20180424_095301614.jpg I couldn't find a picture of my snowman. So enjoy this picture of Hank Aaron.

Reactions: garnetsilver