The "S" word

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
SNOW! THAT WHITE STUFF WE ALL COMPLAIN ABOUT NOW! WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT IT AS A KID?

74333188_3196356353759741_3238900194430943232_n (Small).png

Reactions: NobleHouse
I love, love, loved it! and still do. Eating snow with sugar and milk on it (Yuck!) building an igloo with my brothers, watching those first, magical flakes descending, hearing that schools were closing for the day. And I love that deep quiet after a major snowstorm.

Playing in the snow as a child was incredible. I roamed my neighborhood with other kids snowball fighting. One year we had a massive storm and we built a sled ramp on a car in my neighbors parents driveway. I lived on high ground above the river and there was a long hill about a block away. we would sled down the hill in the alley way actually In secret until an adult would catch us. Another year after a big storm some neighborhood parents built an ice castle in the bar parking lot kitty corner from our house. It had a slide! All the kids in the neighborhood converged on it and played all day before it was eventually taken down so the lot could be used. I miss the quiet of digging a big dugout in a snow pile and laying inside of it. Knocking ice cycles down from the gutters. I miss that time. It’s more rural where we’re raising our kids and we have to drive many hours to visit the snow. They don’t have a semi feral colony of neighborhood kids to explore and adventure with on long snow days or during summer vacations. But they have each other, their pets and a big yard. They have a different kind of childhood with its own special feeling. I’ll always remember the time before cell phones where the big rule was to be home when the street lights come on. If I wasn’t my grandmother would call my name in a sing song voice from the front porch and I’d hurry home. Great memories. Thank you for the opportunity to remember and share them. It’s fun to hear everyone else’s too.

I grew up in Southern California, we didn't really have "snow days". We did have snow but it was up in the mountains. When we wanted to play in the snow we grabbed our hats and gloves, got in the car and drove up to where the snow lived. It never came down to where we lived, which was awfully courteous of it.

Now I live in Denver Colorado and for the current month of November my kids have had two days where school started 2 hours later due to snow and two days where school was cancelled.

I like snow much better when I can visit it at my leisure.