The Midnight Cyclist

WatcherOfTheNight

Reaction score
This one is a local legend in my village, and one that a lot of people believe in. I thought I'd share it for you all, and see if anyone else has any similar local spooks.

So, my village is haunted by the so-called midnight cyclist. I say "is haunted" as if it's definitely true, and actually I'm on the fence about it, but even if he doesn't exist, he's seeped so far into our local culture that he's effectively haunting us without even needing to be here, if that makes sense?

Anyway, for the past 20 years at least, there have been rumours of a cyclist riding around town at night. The details about what he looks like, how often/exactly where he appears and why he's here vary from every retelling, but all of the stories agree that he rides an old bicycle - not like a rusty bicycle, but literally one from decades ago, like early 1900s - and that the only sound he makes is the ringing of a bicycle bell, usually twice.

The stories often say he's horribly disfigured, but sometimes it's that he has no face at all, or that he's transparent, like a traditional ghost. Most people agree that he'll cycle the full length of a street, and then disappear around a corner. So people on the first street will see him go fully around the corner and ride away, but people on the second street will never see him at all.

Then this is where it gets a bit sinister: some of the stories (especially when told by teenagers or around Halloween) say that he kills children, and particularly that if you hear his bell, you're the next to die. I definitely don't believe that aspect of it, because we're a small community and we'd know if children were disappearing or whatever. But it's definitely a spooky thought late at night, and I know plenty of kids who find the Midnight Cyclist absolutely terrifying.

I've never seen him myself, although a couple of my friends claim to have done. I've attached a picture that supposedly is proof that he exists, but no one can give a straight answer as to who took it or when. I'm not sure it's even a picture of my village, but the first time I saw it I definitely got goosebumps. I don't know if that means anything.

What I have experienced is his bell. I've heard it I think three times, although the last might have been at the end of a dream just before I woke up. The first time I heard it I also heard some voices outside laughing, so I'm convinced that was teenagers cycling around at night to scare people, which they sometimes do because of this legend. The second time, though, I was near the window. I looked outside straight away, and it gives a clear view of the road on both sides, as well as the field just beyond it. There were no teenagers. There wasn't anyone at all. And I heard it so close, like it was just beneath the window.

As I say, I'm not convinced the midnight cyclist is real, but that experience definitely scared me!

What do you lot think, does this sound similar at all to anything you've ever experienced, especially those of you who live in small towns/villages with their own local legends?

Attachments

• Midnight Cyclist Spotted.jpg
    Midnight Cyclist Spotted.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Reactions: 7Critter and Armand
I like the urban legends we all have them when I was a kid we investigated a few of them but nothing ever came of it. Knowing about the cyclist makes me want to get an old bike with a huge wheel on the front and well you know the type and just take a ride down that street see what happens.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-24_11-49-43.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-24_11-49-43.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 193
This one is a local legend in my village, and one that a lot of people believe in. I thought I'd share it for you all, and see if anyone else has any similar local spooks.

So, my village is haunted by the so-called midnight cyclist. I say "is haunted" as if it's definitely true, and actually I'm on the fence about it, but even if he doesn't exist, he's seeped so far into our local culture that he's effectively haunting us without even needing to be here, if that makes sense?

Anyway, for the past 20 years at least, there have been rumours of a cyclist riding around town at night. The details about what he looks like, how often/exactly where he appears and why he's here vary from every retelling, but all of the stories agree that he rides an old bicycle - not like a rusty bicycle, but literally one from decades ago, like early 1900s - and that the only sound he makes is the ringing of a bicycle bell, usually twice.

The stories often say he's horribly disfigured, but sometimes it's that he has no face at all, or that he's transparent, like a traditional ghost. Most people agree that he'll cycle the full length of a street, and then disappear around a corner. So people on the first street will see him go fully around the corner and ride away, but people on the second street will never see him at all.

Then this is where it gets a bit sinister: some of the stories (especially when told by teenagers or around Halloween) say that he kills children, and particularly that if you hear his bell, you're the next to die. I definitely don't believe that aspect of it, because we're a small community and we'd know if children were disappearing or whatever. But it's definitely a spooky thought late at night, and I know plenty of kids who find the Midnight Cyclist absolutely terrifying.

I've never seen him myself, although a couple of my friends claim to have done. I've attached a picture that supposedly is proof that he exists, but no one can give a straight answer as to who took it or when. I'm not sure it's even a picture of my village, but the first time I saw it I definitely got goosebumps. I don't know if that means anything.

What I have experienced is his bell. I've heard it I think three times, although the last might have been at the end of a dream just before I woke up. The first time I heard it I also heard some voices outside laughing, so I'm convinced that was teenagers cycling around at night to scare people, which they sometimes do because of this legend. The second time, though, I was near the window. I looked outside straight away, and it gives a clear view of the road on both sides, as well as the field just beyond it. There were no teenagers. There wasn't anyone at all. And I heard it so close, like it was just beneath the window.

As I say, I'm not convinced the midnight cyclist is real, but that experience definitely scared me!

What do you lot think, does this sound similar at all to anything you've ever experienced, especially those of you who live in small towns/villages with their own local legends?
Hey, WatcherOfTheNight; welcome to the ParaNormal Forum. Thanks for sharing your story.

Reactions: WatcherOfTheNight
Thanks for the welcome 7Christie, and Debi, that Candlelight House is just too spooky! I definitely wouldn't be able to stick around there for long! How far is it from you? Does it seem to affect any of the areas around it, or is it specifically that house that appears to be being haunted?

I find it interesting, because I notice that a lot of haunts seem to be very localised, taking place inside one building or castle or whatever else. It seems to contrast with our cyclist who is a village-wide haunting, but - as far as I'm aware - never appears inside.

I like the urban legends we all have them when I was a kid we investigated a few of them but nothing ever came of it. Knowing about the cyclist makes me want to get an old bike with a huge wheel on the front and well you know the type and just take a ride down that street see what happens.

Now there's a thought! I'd love for someone to do a proper investigation of the midnight cyclist. It's a shame I don't think I'd have the nerve to properly do it - like I said above in my reply to Debi, I think my response to a real sighting would be to run away! I also couldn't go out cycling at night for the same reason, I'd be terrified of actually seeing him! Plenty of teenagers manage it without getting hurt when they go out pretending to be the cyclist to scare kids, but they're obviously on modern bikes. I wonder if period stuff would make a difference. In another thread someone was talking about a Scottish ghost and said she might not even be aware of the family in her old home. Maybe the cyclist isn't aware of anything modern, but might be able to see or sense things from his time period?

Although I don't know exactly when that is...

I think the bicycle you linked to is a 'penny farthing' or something like that? I don't think our cyclist is quite that old - that would make him... what... Victorian? I think he's a little after that, maybe around the world wars (I don't know the exact dates of them - I failed History in school!!)

From the descriptions I've heard, it's more like this: https://www.sterba-bike.cz/media/produkty/711/2_thumb_DSC_8514 (2).JPG

is it specifically that house that appears to be being haunted?
To my knowledge of the place, just the house.

Now, on Pennsy Station, that was also noted to have some activity on the grounds around the track area...like ghost trains.

Now, on Pennsy Station, that was also noted to have some activity on the grounds around the track area...like ghost trains.

Ah, interesting! I'll be honest, I always thought ghost trains were just from horror stories and fairground rides. How do they work? What do people experience them as?