The Best...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Best teacher that you ever had. This can be from formal school ( elementary, junior high, high school, college) or it can be from personal or professional life ( father, mother, boss, organization leader )

Two stand out. My seventh-grade teacher was a veteran Peace Corps volunteer (what he did immediately after graduating from college), and an unusual male lay teacher at the Catholic school I attended. Long-haired, a product of his times. Last time I checked, a few years ago, he was still living. He married the big sister of my best friend from those years so we were in each other's lives more than just a teacher and student. I remember being at his apartment one weekend, he and his room mate Jack were re-enacting the boiled egg scene from Cool-Hand Luke, only they were eating canned olives, for some stupid, funny reason. After a while they were soaking the olives in root beer just to kill the taste, lmao! I learned a lot about the world from him.

The other was my drafting instructor in high school. A WW2 P51 pilot, he had 11 kills during the war so a "double ace". He was shot down defending bombers, and spent nearly two years in a luft stalag. He would not talk about his capture, other than to tell his idiot students that "it wasn't like Hogan's Heroes." Retired a full colonel, without a doubt one of this country's Greatest Generation and an honor to have studied at his side. I think the young generation amused him, more than anything, but he did keep his eye open for talent, and nurtured it when he found it.

My 1st through 3rd grade teacher was the best for me. We lived in a small village that only had 2 classrooms when I started school. More people moved to the village so when I left at the end of 4th grade the school had a new school with 4 rooms and 4 teachers. Miss Baca did not learn English until she started 4th grade, she was homeschooled in Spanish until then and she understood the idiocy of english spelling rules and taught us to memorize, because as she said, the rules don't work. (for example I before E except after C and all the other exceptions, too many to remember, so memorize the words).

Probably was very fortunate because I can think of a dozen !
While I was a sophomore or Junior in high school we had a substitute history teacher - and for whatever reason she stuck around for the whole year. And it was a blast ! She would work in all kinds of conspiracy theories into the coursework.

It was another guy in grad school that taught psychology. He was a much older guy who was a furrier in Chicago. Fancy store at a fancy address and he owned it. In his sixties his son died and it devastated him. Sold the shop and got a doctorate in Clinical Psychology. Too old to start a career of it so he decided to teach. He was kind of like a Dutch uncle. He had his favorites and really pushed us. Didn't like it at the time but I really grew to respect him.

My english teacher at secondary school was amazing!

He was very much like Robin Williams's character in The Dead Poet Society - he was so inspiring! Even the usually more disruptive lads who sat at the back would, for once, shut up and listen to what he had to say. Every lesson was fun and often outright hilarious but we learned so much from him without even realising it.

Apart from being a teacher he was also in the TA (territorial army). He would often regale us with tales of the exercises they would go on with the SAS, and when they weren't looking they'd fling their sandwiches at them for a laugh!

He used to bring in things like gas masks for us to look at (when we were studying Wilfred Owen's poem, Dulce Et Decorum Est, for example) to really illustrate the point.

Lessons with him were phenomenal and he was universally loved, whilst retaining respect and boundaries. Brilliant teacher and one of a kind!

A few years ago I had the good luck to bump into him in a cafe. I made sure I went up to him and told him just exactly how inspirational he had been to all of us.

Last edited: