Something in my basement? Demon? Ghost?

Calliope

Reaction score
Hi! Sorry if this is kind of weirdly formatted-- I've never used a forum before today!

Recently my family (My mother and stepfather, my younger brother, and I) moved from a small gated community to a hundred-year old house in a medium sized town. It was fairly cheap as houses go, and it shows in the functionality of the place. Half of the appliances don't work, The walls are rotting away, ect.

Now, the real thing I'm concerned about is my basement. We've been here since late October (around Halloween) and we immediately noticed something was off about it. The walls are stone, and the floor is padded down dirt. There are exposed pipes, and cracks and wooden doors that lead to huge rooms that extend past the property line. There's another door, far in the back, that leads into a long mine shaft (We live in Pennsylvania, this isn't uncommon really) that we haven't yet explored due to the discovery of poison in the rotting pipes.

My stepfather agrees with me that there's something just.. Wrong about it. He found small hangers for baby's clothes on the rafters, and an angel figurine on a shelf that seemed to follow my parents around the room with it's eyes. We know nothing about the homes history except that the owners most likely died here, and that the house went unoccupied for 10+ years.
Please keep in mind that my stepfather is a grumpy man, Six foot four and almost fifty, who wants nothing to do with the paranormal. He doesn't believe in ghosts, or anything similar. For him to admit that there might be something here is sort of terrifying in its own right.

Now, onto whats been happening in the house:

- Things keep going missing. My brother's sippy cups, two of them, just gone. My mother's IPod, as well as it's charger. And a few other things, small stuff, pens and such.

- In the basement there are claw marks on the walls. Long and deep into the rock. It looked like it was made by something completely feral.

- Dusty footprints in front of the (Now sealed) basement door. They don't match anyone in my family.

- My cat died under mysterious circumstances. We think it was the poison in the basement, but she was totally healthy when we got here and wasn't very old.

- My little brother has started having nightmares. This wouldn't be unusual for a four year old, normally, but he has never once had any issues sleeping until we got here.

- My dog (a mix between a Labrador and Mastiff) has been acting strange. She used to be the biggest sweetheart and now she attacks any man that even comes close to her, sadly, including my little brother. This never happened before we moved here. She will sometimes stare at things that aren't there, and hide in places for no real reason. She gets anxious if she's alone.

- And finally, black masses in photos. They aren't there when you without the camera, and they tend to hide in corners. This could be attributed to shitty camera quality I guess, or bad lighting, but it still freaks me out. Pair that with the almost constantly uneasy feeling I have and it just sets off a bunch of red flags.

Am I overreacting, or could something actually be here? Thoughts?

Reactions: Paintman
Hi! Sorry if this is kind of weirdly formatted-- I've never used a forum before today!

Recently my family (My mother and stepfather, my younger brother, and I) moved from a small gated community to a hundred-year old house in a medium sized town. It was fairly cheap as houses go, and it shows in the functionality of the place. Half of the appliances don't work, The walls are rotting away, ect.

Now, the real thing I'm concerned about is my basement. We've been here since late October (around Halloween) and we immediately noticed something was off about it. The walls are stone, and the floor is padded down dirt. There are exposed pipes, and cracks and wooden doors that lead to huge rooms that extend past the property line. There's another door, far in the back, that leads into a long mine shaft (We live in Pennsylvania, this isn't uncommon really) that we haven't yet explored due to the discovery of poison in the rotting pipes.

My stepfather agrees with me that there's something just.. Wrong about it. He found small hangers for baby's clothes on the rafters, and an angel figurine on a shelf that seemed to follow my parents around the room with it's eyes. We know nothing about the homes history except that the owners most likely died here, and that the house went unoccupied for 10+ years.
Please keep in mind that my stepfather is a grumpy man, Six foot four and almost fifty, who wants nothing to do with the paranormal. He doesn't believe in ghosts, or anything similar. For him to admit that there might be something here is sort of terrifying in its own right.

Now, onto whats been happening in the house:

- Things keep going missing. My brother's sippy cups, two of them, just gone. My mother's IPod, as well as it's charger. And a few other things, small stuff, pens and such.

- In the basement there are claw marks on the walls. Long and deep into the rock. It looked like it was made by something completely feral.

- Dusty footprints in front of the (Now sealed) basement door. They don't match anyone in my family.

- My cat died under mysterious circumstances. We think it was the poison in the basement, but she was totally healthy when we got here and wasn't very old.

- My little brother has started having nightmares. This wouldn't be unusual for a four year old, normally, but he has never once had any issues sleeping until we got here.

- My dog (a mix between a Labrador and Mastiff) has been acting strange. She used to be the biggest sweetheart and now she attacks any man that even comes close to her, sadly, including my little brother. This never happened before we moved here. She will sometimes stare at things that aren't there, and hide in places for no real reason. She gets anxious if she's alone.

- And finally, black masses in photos. They aren't there when you without the camera, and they tend to hide in corners. This could be attributed to shitty camera quality I guess, or bad lighting, but it still freaks me out. Pair that with the almost constantly uneasy feeling I have and it just sets off a bunch of red flags.

Am I overreacting, or could something actually be here? Thoughts?
Hi Calliope. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I don't think that you are over reacting.

Reactions: Paintman
thanks for sharing Calli, someone here may have some advice for you

Wow, spooky. Calliope, here are some concrete things that can be done right now. This is from a Catholic tradition, and frankly we are really into this stuff !:). Just take this as a guide to go by.
Get some Holy Water from a local Catholic Church. If you are not Catholic, just introduce yourself, tell what is going on, and they will give you some. You may be surprised that you will find a sympathetic ear. (Bring a little jar - like a spice bottle.) Then with your fingers, flick the water into every room of your home. Also beds and kitchen table. In the basement, sprinkle all 4 walls and all doors.
Get the house blessed. This is the season for it. Get on the list. A Priest or Deacon will do this, and again, you don't have to be Catholic (RCC or Eastern Orthodox). Also, you & your family can do this by yourselves right now, the links will walk you thru it.Blessing of a New Home :: Catholic News Agency and printer friendly Catholic Home Blessing
I'm assuming you are Christian. If not, I'd betchya that every religion has a house blessing/cleansing ritual.
Three, and a Priest has to do this, chalk your front door. It is a blessing for the home and all in it. Most people who do this have this ( 20+C=M=B=17)* written in chalk above the inside of the front door, on the wall above the door frame.Chalking the Door: An Epiphany House Blessing 2016 | News | Order of Carmelites
If you don't find relief from your situation, do what Debi recommended, and get your home checked out.
* It's 2017, and the letters represent the names of the 3 Wisemen, and also Latin shorthand for 'May Christ bless our home.'
Good luck & keep us posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
Two things about that are unsettling to me. The first one is that your house is connected to a mine. Just...wtf lol. I know you say it's not uncommon there, but still... and even if nothing paranormal is going on, just the fact that knowing that a criminal or someone else could be hiding in there, since you guys never thoroughly explored it yet. Just knowing that they could come in from the mine whenever they wanted would prevent me from living there, just for the sheer home security vulnerability.

But then there's the claw marks.

Can you take pictures of the passageway leading to the mine from your basement, and of the claw marks? I would appreciate it.

I hope everything goes ok for you.

Reactions: Debi and Paintman
Good advice given Paint and Debi

Reactions: Debi