Shoulda listened to myself...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Have you ever had a feeling or premonition that you should do something, resulting in a bad outcome when you ignored it?
Example: My son and I both had a "feeling"/"Knowing" that a kitchen stool should be replaced. It appeared fine, but it was old and my husband loved the dang thing and used it to work when in the kitchen. We figured we're moving in 6 weeks so we'd just replace it then.

Today, loud boom from kitchen and hubs was on the floor when the welds broke on the dang thing. (He's gonna be OK)

What's happened when you've ignored a premonition or your intuition?

My favorite bike when I was 10 was stolen. Very similar to the one below….Only had it 3 weeks! Best bike ever! Blue, yellow star “mag wheels “. Damn. I still miss that bike. If only I listened to that “voice” at 10 yrs old to bring it upstairs. Sigh…..The pain never ends…. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_6662.png
    IMG_6662.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 14
My intuition is always wrong. In the past, when I felt an intuition that something was wrong and a certain place was better avoided, it always turned out that nothing bad would have happened anyway.

I've had many of these incidents, where there is literally voice or image in my head that gives me a brief message or glimpse of something. I usually follow what I'm given so I don't know what would have happened otherwise. But sometimes I do ignore the voice, what it's suggesting just seems completely irrational and I simply can't take it seriously, which means I can't justify taking action. Some of my biggest regrets in life, things that are still hard to talk about even decades later, have occurred because I didn't listen.

One incident where I obeyed involved a trip to the store to get the one missing ingredient for dinner. As I was approaching an intersection the Voice told me "Turn Right". So I did, even though the store I wanted was to the left. There was another store on the right but one I didn't like going to as their selection and prices weren't as good. But I went to the alternate store, got what I needed and left. On the drive home the radio stopped playing music and was covering breaking news; at the exact same time I was checking out with my grocery someone with a history of drug and mental problems walked into the store where I was originally intending and started shooting people at the checkout. Had I not listened, I would have been at that exact checkout line.

A time I didn't listen was when I was on leave from the Army and visiting family. My Step-Dad's Mother just happened to be moving at the time and I was asked to help since I had a pickup truck. Once I was loaded up I asked the obvious question about where I was going. Having not been around in over a year I didn't have the slightest clue where the new house was located, or even what city it was in as this was the sprawling suburbia of Southern California. My Step-Dad pulled out a paper map to show me where I was going, but before he had it open the Voice gave me a series of random words. I don't remember them now but it was something like 'Washington, Central, Maple, Elm, Pleasant". Which didn't make much sense until the map was unfolded and I saw all those street names on the map. This is going to sound weird but for a brief moment it looked like those streets were glowing, or perhaps highlighted, on the map. Those exact streets, in that exact order took me from our current location to exactly where the new house was. I pointed out this route on the map as the Voice told me, but everyone said that was a bad route, taking me out of the way and adding about 30-45 minutes to the trip. They all suggested a faster, more direct route along the 405 freeway. I had no logical reason to take the "scenic" route and the Voice didn't come back to make its case. So I ignored the Voice and took the route 4 other people were telling me was best. 20 minutes later I was the 4th vehicle in a 5 car accident, my sister who was riding with me needed stitches and my truck was totalled.

When we bought our first home in FL. The price was right, but I had an uneasy feeling which I couldn't pin down. I even insisted on looking at other properties, but we always ended up thinking that, financially, this property was our best bet. The first warning I got was an odd smell in the house. In the past, I have found that the first random incidents that occur when checking out a new place or venture, usually are symbols of what the whole experience may likely be. So metaphorically, the location "stank."

During the time we lived there, we had one problem after another, until we decided to sell and move back to PA.

Edited: I didn't go into more detail, as I am fairly certain I have described most of them in another post. One of the things that went wrong was having our car stolen right out of the carport.

Last edited:
I've had many of these incidents, where there is literally voice or image in my head that gives me a brief message or glimpse of something. I usually follow what I'm given so I don't know what would have happened otherwise. But sometimes I do ignore the voice, what it's suggesting just seems completely irrational and I simply can't take it seriously, which means I can't justify taking action. Some of my biggest regrets in life, things that are still hard to talk about even decades later, have occurred because I didn't listen.

One incident where I obeyed involved a trip to the store to get the one missing ingredient for dinner. As I was approaching an intersection the Voice told me "Turn Right". So I did, even though the store I wanted was to the left. There was another store on the right but one I didn't like going to as their selection and prices weren't as good. But I went to the alternate store, got what I needed and left. On the drive home the radio stopped playing music and was covering breaking news; at the exact same time I was checking out with my grocery someone with a history of drug and mental problems walked into the store where I was originally intending and started shooting people at the checkout. Had I not listened, I would have been at that exact checkout line.

A time I didn't listen was when I was on leave from the Army and visiting family. My Step-Dad's Mother just happened to be moving at the time and I was asked to help since I had a pickup truck. Once I was loaded up I asked the obvious question about where I was going. Having not been around in over a year I didn't have the slightest clue where the new house was located, or even what city it was in as this was the sprawling suburbia of Southern California. My Step-Dad pulled out a paper map to show me where I was going, but before he had it open the Voice gave me a series of random words. I don't remember them now but it was something like 'Washington, Central, Maple, Elm, Pleasant". Which didn't make much sense until the map was unfolded and I saw all those street names on the map. This is going to sound weird but for a brief moment it looked like those streets were glowing, or perhaps highlighted, on the map. Those exact streets, in that exact order took me from our current location to exactly where the new house was. I pointed out this route on the map as the Voice told me, but everyone said that was a bad route, taking me out of the way and adding about 30-45 minutes to the trip. They all suggested a faster, more direct route along the 405 freeway. I had no logical reason to take the "scenic" route and the Voice didn't come back to make its case. So I ignored the Voice and took the route 4 other people were telling me was best. 20 minutes later I was the 4th vehicle in a 5 car accident, my sister who was riding with me needed stitches and my truck was totalled.
Wow!!!! There is definitely someone looking out for you. Thanks for sharing these.

When we bought our first home in FL. The price was right, but I had an uneasy feeling which I couldn't pin down. I even insisted on looking at other properties, but we always ended up thinking that, financially, this property was our best bet. The first warning I got was an odd smell in the house. In the past, I have found that the first random incidents that occur when checking out a new place or venture, usually are symbols of what the whole experience may likely be. So metaphorically, the location "stank."

During the time we lived there, we had problem after another, until we decided to sell and move back to PA.
A good example to trust your intuition.