Serial Killer claims he was possessed

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
https://nypost.com/2018/09/03/notorious-serial-killer-says-demon-possessed-him-in-new-confession/

The notorious US serial killer known as BTK has revealed he believes a “demon” inside him drove him to murder 10 people, including two children.

In a previously unheard interview, Dennis Rader opened up about his crimes as well as his childhood, soon after he confessed 13 years ago.

Rader, a native of Wichita, Kansas, called himself BTK, which stands for “Bind, Torture, and Kill.”

He was arrested in 2005 and is serving 10 consecutive life sentences at a Kansas prison for his crimes.

A new Oxygen documentary titled “Snapped: Notorious BTK Serial Killer” will focus on Rader as its main subject, including an unheard interview he gave to a local television reporter after he confessed to the murders.

“How could a guy like me, church member, raised a family, go out and do those sort of things?” he told reporter Larry Hatteberg during the interview on KAKE-TV.

“I want the people of Sedgwick County, the United States and the world to know that I am a serial killer.”

Rader then told Hatteburg what spurred him to commit his crimes.

He said: “I personally think, and I know it’s not very Christian, but I actually think it’s a demon that’s within me.”

“At some point in time, it entered me when I was young, and it basically controlled me.”

Hatteburg asked him if he had any feelings for the 10 victims whom he had killed, and Rader replied: “Yes I do.”

“I mean, I have a lot of feelings for them.”

Rader also revealed how the murders made him feel.

He said: “I guess it’s more of an achievement for this object in the hunt, or sort of more of a high.”

Rader was a former church leader and lived at home with his wife and two children.

He hid all of his killings from his family and said in the interview that he started noticing his dark side back in eighth grade.

He previously said that lust and desire for fame and power drove him to murder, MailOnline reports.

For over 30 years, Rader evaded authorities but continuously taunted police about the killings, which later led to his downfall.

He also communicated with Wichita police detectives via a floppy disk, which eventually authorities traced back to his church.

In 2016, Rader worked with Katherine Ramsland, a forensic psychology professor at DeSales University, to publish a book, “Confessions of a Serial Killer: The Untold Story of Dennis Rader, BTK Killer,” about his crimes.

Ramsland wrote the book under an agreement that proceeds from its sale would go to the victims’ families’ trust fund.

The book contained three-and-a-half pages about his plans to kill his 11th victim, whom he was planning on hanging upside down in her home before he was arrested.

“This was supposed to be my opus, my grand finale, and to make it different, I would set the house on fire using propane canisters,” he wrote.

Rader got far enough to get into the woman’s garden, and knocked on her door, but aborted his plan when a city street crew showed up unexpectedly to work outside the house.

His murder plan was moved to the following spring, but he was arrested in February 2005.

Wichita police detectives said Rader showed pride and shared many details about the tortures he planned to inflict on the 11th victim.

Following his arrest, several of the victims’ relatives sued Rader and secured a settlement that stated he could never profit from his crimes or coverage of them.

Rader’s murders include the brutal slaying of four members of the Otero family in 1974.

He killed the mother and father, as well as their two children, ages 11 and 9. The Oteros’ third child discovered the carnage when he came home from school later that day.

Rader’s next murder was a few months later when he killed 21-year-old Kathryn Bright by stabbing her to death in her home.

Three years later, he reappeared in 1977, when he entered the home of 24-year-old Shirley Vian.

Rader locked her children in the bathroom and strangled the woman.

He strangled another woman later that year, which put every resident of Wichita in fear.

In 1985, he strangled 53-year-old Marine Hedge in her home in the suburbs of Wichita.

He later strangled two more women in 1986 and 1991.

Reactions: Donna K.
What do you think? Possession or not?

In the past couple of days I watched a documentary exploring the mindset of famous serial killers, interviews with FBI profilers and psychologists, looking in detail at backgrounds growing upetc. No remorse or guilt, needing to have power over victims and a lot more besides. A comment from one of the FBI guys who pioneered profiling said 'evil can be learned'. Monsters exist without the intervention of the paranormal, so in my opinion no possession but never to be ruled out.

No; in my view not possession in the accepted sense of the word.
However; certainly this person could well have been exposed in infancy, or childhood, to the influence of a personality harbouring killer intent.
It has been known, that even exposure to the residual energy, permeating the atmosphere of a room, once perceived by the psychic senses, can take on a life of its own, and eventually manifest as certain desires within the heart of the experiencer; sometimes criminal, but more often than not, charitable behaviour.

Metaphysics;
It's not immediately apparent, which of the personalities we become exposed to in infancy, eventually helps shape our personality and character.

Last edited:
I think possession is definitely a possibility and shouldn't be ruled out. Do I think it's absolutely the driving force....no. Do I think it could possibly be an excuse....could be. I do find it interesting that many killers claim to "black out" when the murder or murders are committed. I know this is still fresh on everyone's mind, but consider the Mollie Tibbetts case. The murderer claims to have approached her in his car, chase her down and then recalls blacking out. When he supposedly awakens, he finds that he has undoubtedly killed her. It reminds me of another famous murder case. The Villisca Iowa murder case of 1912 which was never solved. One of the likely suspects who actually admitted to the families murder claims he was guided by God to the house (which we obviously know it wasn't) and was told by him to slay and slay utterly. He then claims that he blacked out soon after.

Reactions: Debi
Sounds like he is trying to justify his actions by saying he is possessed.

Reactions: Donna K.
Maybe some level of demonic influence. But certainly not possession. He knew what he did and knew it was wrong. and he said he feels for the victims, So he’s not a full blown psychopath either.
In order to ruthlessly murder an innocent person he stalked in cold blood, he isn’t capable of feeling for them then or ever. Unless he was possessed at the time. Then in that case it wasn’t him. Either that or he is a sociopath & a liar. I think that’s where my money is.

Not. Cold-blooded killer. Innately evil? Maybe.

“How could a guy like me, church member, raised a family, go out and do those sort of things?” he told reporter Larry Hatteberg

Preening. Thinks he is using his superior intellect to confuse the listener.

He previously said that lust and desire for fame and power drove him to murder, MailOnline reports.

Can't get any clearer then that.

“I want the people of Sedgwick County, the United States and the world to know that I am a serial killer.”

See above.