Scary dream freaked me out

Entity_magnet1

Reaction score
I happen to be looking for a place to share a disturbing dream. I was walking down a New York City street filled with the classic brownstone buildings, although I’ve never been to NYC. I was on a cell phone, talking to my wife when I came to a home of someone I knew, or at least I was confident I knew (however, never met this person). I opened the gate to go into the lower level and paused, thinking, “no, she isn’t back yet”. So I close the gate and continue on.

This is where things get really strange. As I continue on, I walk past a set of steps and hear a door open, but not storm door. At this point I’m thinking, “ok maybe she is home and I start to open the storm door, but through the glass I see her sitting on the floor, this woman I knew but never met. As I do she is looking up at me angrily shouting at me to close the door, she “isn’t home yet”.

Startled, I back out and shut the door, completely confused. To recap, I went to visit a woman I knew but have never met, she was there but screamed at me to leave because she wasn’t there yet. If you are lost at this point, join the club.

I continue on down the street and apparently am home, a place which I’ve never been but my wife was there and it felt like home. A couple of minutes later we are lying on a bed in a narrow room with an old box tv directly across from us. The bed is situated running the length of the room, pushed back against the wall because the room isn’t more than 8 ft wide. On either side of the tv is a 3ft wide window with curtains over the window. Then we fall asleep watching tv. I feel her move and hear a rustle. I look up and see the window nearest our head is open, there is someone in the room, my wife is sitting up between me and the stranger and I can’t see their face. I’m pinned between the wall and my wife and can’t move.

Suddenly, I wake up in real life with an incredible feeling that there is someone in the house that shouldn’t be there and I can’t see them.

Brief history, I am an empath but over the last decade have been able to turn it off and live a normal life. What you just read is the type of thing that would happen on a regular basis when a spirit would pass through the house in the middle of the night and touch me or in some cases simply stand over me. I would dream a segment of their life, feel what they felt and life it through their eyes. It very rarely happens now, maybe once a year but it still freaks me out.

Thanks for sharing your experience, EM, and welcome to the ParaNormal Forum(PNF). You will find many gifted people here on PNF. Turning off your gift seems to be the common wish for many.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
Welcome to the PNF and thank you for sharing with us. I have been a member here for a year and have learned quite a lot from other posters. I am empathic too but to the best of my knowledge have only had empathic connections with living persons. Your post is especially interesting to me because I experienced something this week for (what I believe to be) the first time...I’ll post on that later.

So I suspect you posted your experience not only to share but in hopes of receiving feedback. I’m not only empathic but telepathic and receive premonitions. I believe that anyone who experiences any one kinds of cognitive psychic message is probably open to other kinds of psychic communications too. That said, consider that, besides the chance of just being a dream of your own minds making, this might also be someone elses’ dream.

Let me think of an alternate way to explain my thought EM - with an example instead - and I’ll post that for your consideration.

Reactions: Debi and 7Critter
Okay, let me try again. First though, I think most people - certainly me too - have dreams where we feel the sense of ownership over an object which is not specifically familiar to us. In your case, it was a building that felt like home but was not somewhere you have lived before. The fact that you perceived your wife was there only serves to increase the sense of “home”...or maybe she was only there BECAUSE of your expectation that this was your home.

What I want to talk to is the sense of someone else being in the room or the home with you. Again my premise is that you might be experiencing telepathy with a living person in some instance instead of empathy as you pointed out with a spirit. So what if you were in receipt of a thought concurrent to another person having that same thought - when someone else was having it either as a waking thought or as a sleeping dream of their own. That other person might have been thinking/dreaming about a residence which was familiar - not foreign - to them; however, to you that same residence feels kind of like home to you (because it IS home to them) yet also is foreign to you. Since you feel kind of like it is home to you, it would be very reasonable to expect to find your wife there too. What is not expected is to find someone else there with you. But, it is their real life residence and so you and your wife are actually the surprise visitors.

Last edited:
When trying to figure out a dream I would look at and consider what’s going on in your life and how could it relate to the dream. Dreams are sometimes ways for us to work out something in a symbolic manner. Maybe the woman in the house that said I’m not home yet is someone you will meet in the future. The timing is not right yet. Are you thinking on having a baby? Just throwing out some ideas here.

If it’s paranormal Wands may be on to something for ya.

Last edited:
Wands this is an amazing analysis. Very thought provoking!!

It is actually kind of a new realization for me Lynn.

So only while reading Entity’s post did I take the time to think back on how some of my own lucid dreams have contained elements which were incongruous with some key parts of the dream yet were in fact in context with other more subtle parts of that same dream.

Adding two and two together, I can certainly imagine how aspects of a telepathy message/knowledge from someone else’s mind could be altered by my own expectations to create a seriously different perception. In my example of Entity’s post, this could be a “feeling of home = a residence + family member(s) hence someone else’s home which though foreign to me I still interpret as my own home would be more evidenced as same if my wife were in the scene too - oh there is my wife so again seems like my home though I know it is nowhere I have lived before.”

Reactions: Debi
It is actually kind of a new realization for me Lynn.

So only while reading Entity’s post did I take the time to think back on how some of my own lucid dreams have contained elements which were incongruous with some key parts of the dream yet were in fact in context with other more subtle parts of that same dream.

Adding two and two together, I can certainly imagine how aspects of a telepathy message/knowledge from someone else’s mind could be altered by my own expectations to create a seriously different perception. In my example of Entity’s post, this could be a “feeling of home = a residence + family member(s) hence someone else’s home which though foreign to me I still interpret as my own home would be more evidenced as same if my wife were in the scene too - oh there is my wife so again seems like my home though I know it is nowhere I have lived before.”
This perception integration with our own dreams really makes it hard to untangle. I think I’d just have a cup of tea and go for a walk.

I do think this could be a likely senerio tho. Empathic abilities mixing with the dream state.