Magazines

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
OK, for the most part magazines have gone the way of telephone books and slide projectors. But back in those days before podcast and blogs, magazines were the go to source for specific topics and interest and hobbies.

What were your favorite magazines? Did you have subscriptions or buy them off the rack? Are they still published today? Can/do you read them electronically?

Mother Earth, National Geographic, Dell horoscope, and Fate magazine. I'm sure there were more, this just came to mind. Oh, I remember another: The Farmer's Almanac. I buy a copy every year right after Halloween.

Mad and Cracked. Rolling Stone in the 80s. National Geographic. Some bodybuilding magazines. Trade mags. Golf Digest. Some shooting magazines. The Sporting News and Sports Illustrated. Haven't had any subscriptions in years.

It's amazing how small the magazine rack is at the drugstore.
I still like to get catalogs and mark 'em all up.

A few days I learned that a golf club making supply house is having trouble putting together their new catalog. Some component manufacturers and distributors are not keeping up with inflation and can't give anybody a hard price. It's nuts.

The first magazine I remember was "TV Guide" for which my parents paid the princely sum of fifteen cents weekly at the grocery. As I grew up, I subscribed to many magazines, most either aviation or sports related. Back in the 80s when I travelled a great deal I subscribed to 8-10 magazines to occupy my time flying and in airports. At least half of them are no longer published.

I now subscribe to just one magazine, a privately published aviation history magazine that comes out quarterly. I did subscribe to three different aviation/military magazines from the UK electronically until about six months ago.

I buy hobby magazines. Mostly about knitting and fiber arts. The other ones I buy are like the National enquirer and star. I like the crosswords in them ;)

Best answer ever Oz. I didn’t even know that was a thing lol. Got to love a magazine with bacon in the title.
I know hunting isn't everyone's cup of tea but pork, bacon is pretty good, lol. Also because I'm a dog fanatic they show some awesome dogs at their peak of fitness.