Life/Stress/Covid Support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They always have been, along with teachers, nurses, and any number of those in thankless career fields we take for granted.
I was going to say the same. We live in a topsy-turvey world where those who make our society work get paid bobbins and ignored and people get money and adoration for being famous... for being famous.

From the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration in Clyde, Mo.

90339640_2741720175944698_2477248410898399232_n.jpg

In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, we will be lighting the star on our water tower that is normally only lit during the Advent and Christmas seasons.

This is to remind us all during these times of uncertainty and fear, that Christ, the Light of the World, still shines in the darkness.

Let us all pray for one another that we may face our hardships with courage, patience, love and compassion and remain grateful to God for the many gifts with which we have been blessed. Be assured the Sisters hold the local community and the world in their special prayer intentions.

Made a trip out today. I had to get a trim from my barber. I needed it and more important she needed the money and a hug. I then bearded the dragon and went to the big store for meat and fresh vegetables and the stuff to feed my wife's Greek Yogurt addiction. It wasn't bad at all. Evidently the panic people are mostly done the store was mostly older people like me that had probably just got their Social Security checks. We were overall a pretty jovial group. It was sort of funny. The older people that are at greatest risk seem comfortable and at ease while the fewer younger people seemed stressed and in a rush. The younger they were to tenser they seemed.

Made a trip out today. I had to get a trim from my barber. I needed it and more important she needed the money and a hug. I then bearded the dragon and went to the big store for meat and fresh vegetables and the stuff to feed my wife's Greek Yogurt addiction. It wasn't bad at all. Evidently the panic people are mostly done the store was mostly older people like me that had probably just got their Social Security checks. We were overall a pretty jovial group. It was sort of funny. The older people that are at greatest risk seem comfortable and at ease while the fewer younger people seemed stressed and in a rush. The younger they were to tenser they seemed.
I think there is a difference in some geographic areas. My town is locked down tight. We have quite a few cases in the area thus it's a more extreme approach here. The Kroger and Walmart are packed and many items sold out. Our older population (including myself) are isolating in place, thus my 30 something son who lives with us is doing the pick up order, of which I got half of a very small order I put in that took 2 days to get on a pick up time. No milk, bread, basics. Vets are open by appt. and seeing emergencies only. Doctors have cancelled appts. and are doing phone visits. The banks have closed the lobbies, as well as our REMC and other county offices. All other businesses are closed except for carry out fast food. We have a bit of a ghost town look right now.

Reactions: Donna K. and Benway
Watching TV last night, I was struck by a few commercials and TV shows. Obviously, perspective has changed.

Angel Soft....save your advertising money right now!
Lysol....I'd sure like to try that new scent so let me know when I can find ya again!
Survivor TV show rips open giant bags of rice to find the small tennis balls within during the challenge game.....look at all that rice you just wasted!
Olive Garden all you can eat commercial....yup, when you're open again I'll come by.

90319450_10163197487635456_8416813690182959104_o.jpg

Bread shortage?
This is the easiest kind of bread you can make. Costs pennies and can get you through these strange times.

Navajo Flatbread:
Makes 6

2 cups flour
1 - 1 1/4cup of lukewarm water
1 table spoon baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 table spoon oil/butter/shortening

Mix dry ingredients together and add most water, mix and add water until it has the consistency of tacky pizza dough.
Knead for a few minutes.
Let rest in greased bowl for 30- 60 minutes.
Divide into 6 pieces and roll out on floured surface thin. (Tortilla thickness)
Hear griddle to 350F.
Cook until golden brown spots and flip, cooking until done.
They can be made ahead and kept under a flour towel or frozen for later use.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.