It's a pain...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I've noticed that quite a few of us have been dealing with chronic pain conditions lately.
Been doing it for 20 years now, and I understand how difficult this can be.
It's known as the "silent disability" as many people can't tell by just looking at you which can often make us feel a bit unseen or unheard. Sometimes our docs don't listen well either.
Do you or someone you know have this problem?

In support of everyone who deals with this, what advice would you give another in dealing with this kind of condition? What has been an effective way for you to deal with it? Let's give each other a bit of support!

368350736_752520873344302_4834855650359639839_n.jpg

I have learned the wisdom of a little everyday goes a long way. I actually set up cleaning goals to accomplish cleaning projects. I can't say it's because I have chronic pain, it's just that I hate doing it and the only way I can get through it, is to do a little at a time. This is what I am doing to clean out my basement. It is a job for an expert declutter person at the moment. I am working my through by making myself take out a few items every day. I have gotten through half in the last two months. I figure in another two I will have it organized at least. If I didn't do it this way, it would still be a mess when I am dead and gone.

I have learned the wisdom of a little everyday goes a long way. I actually set up cleaning goals to accomplish cleaning projects. I can't say it's because I have chronic pain, it's just that I hate doing it and the only way I can get through it, is to do a little at a time. This is what I am doing to clean out my basement. It is a job for an expert declutter person at the moment. I am working my through by making myself take out a few items every day. I have gotten through half in the last two months. I figure in another two I will have it organized at least. If I didn't do it this way, it would still be a mess when I am dead and gone.
I'm trying to appy this same approach, because I simply can't do a lot. I did manage to get enough together to fill a large garbage bag last week...lol Slow as a turtle but I'm getting it. I will need a year for one room...lol

I'm trying to appy this same approach, because I simply can't do a lot. I did manage to get enough together to fill a large garbage bag last week...lol Slow as a turtle but I'm getting it. I will need a year for one room...lol
I have been cleaning up my barn the same way lately. Every day when I go out, I put something away or take something to the trash. I had an animal get in and kill two rabbits. It was so sad. I think it was a fox but can't be sure. It was pretty brazen. I always have cat food around so I don't think it was a coon. Nobody is hungry coming into the barn. I always have food out. These were just kills. It looked like a dog kill, but they weren't eaten. A coyote would have dragged them off. These things happen sometimes but it always breaks my heart. So I have two empty cages to clean out.

I am trying to stay focused on little goals. I've learned that dealing with any illness requires gratitude for the good parts of life. So each time I can tackle something and get it done, I give myself a pat on the back and tell myself good girl for trying! lol

I am trying to stay focused on little goals. I've learned that dealing with any illness requires gratitude for the good parts of life. So each time I can tackle something and get it done, I give myself a pat on the back and tell myself good girl for trying! lol
I think that is what we all have to do as we get older, things certainly get more difficult. Work smarter not harder as my old dr. used to say. lol. Good for you Debi, keep at it, we can't give up.

As a retired OT, I would say that energy conservation is important. If I am faced with a task, and pain is bad, I must prioritize; how important is it right now? I try to keep two of most things that I use frequently, so I don't have to climb the stairs so much, such as medications divided between two bottles, one on each floor. Water jugs filled and on my desk, by my bed, etc. so I don't have to go far for a drink of water. I have two blood pressure machines; one for each floor. I keep pillows and blankets on the living room sofa for those sudden rest breaks.

Also if you have medication for pain, don't wait until it gets really bad before you take it! I tend to stall, because I don't like feeling drugged. A friend once told me that she sits on an office chair with wheels to mop her kitchen floor.

I keep a bath stool in the tub for days when showering is difficult. And for worse days, I use disposable bath wipes that you can order on Amazon. And keeping good leftovers around is important for when cooking is a challenge. That's all I can think of for now!

As a retired OT, I would say that energy conservation is important. If I am faced with a task, and pain is bad, I must prioritize; how important is it right now? I try to keep two of most things that I use frequently, so I don't have to climb the stairs so much, such as medications divided between two bottles, one on each floor. Water jugs filled and on my desk, by my bed, etc. so I don't have to go far for a drink of water. I have two blood pressure machines; one for each floor. I keep pillows and blankets on the living room sofa for those sudden rest breaks.

Also if you have medication for pain, don't wait until it gets really bad before you take it! I tend to stall, because I don't like feeling drugged. A friend once told me that she sits on an office chair with wheels to mop her kitchen floor.

I keep a bath stool in the tub for days when showering is difficult. And for worse days, I use disposable bath wipes that you can order on Amazon. And keeping good leftovers around is important for when cooking is a challenge. That's all I can think of for now!
Some great ideas Garnet. I am terrible with acronyms, what does OT mean?

Reactions: Selectric
Luckily as of yet i do not suffer any chronic pain. Every so often i flare up old injuries that make my job and life more difficult. Usually last a week or so, even quicker if i resort to medication, which i despise. Jack Daniels helps though ;)
Self-medication I have used myself at times lol.