Technology I need this!

SSD is the only way to go with Laptops , more stable especially if you travel with your Laptop , SSD can handle the enviroment much better , all those bumps and vibrations the Laptop has to endure !

Reactions: surge
SSD? :confused: Techie's...gotta love 'em but I'll never understand 'em.

SSD? :confused: Techie's...gotta love 'em but I'll never understand 'em.
Solid State Drives
Storage and performance are two of the most crucial aspects of computing. Traditionally, the hard drive is seen as the figurehead of this for most personal computers, but alternative hardware does exist. Solid state drives have been adopted by people across many walks of life for their technological needs, and there several different classifications of SSDs available that can be used alone or in tandem with other equipment.

SSDs are a viable means by which to enhance the capabilities of computers. They should be considered by anyone looking for faster speeds and/or increased disk space.

What is an SSD?
Despite serving many of the same purposes, there is a vast difference between solid state drives and other types of hard drives. A typical hard drive is comprised of moving parts that respond to magnetics and optical media, whereas an SSD is, well, solid. Integrated circuits work with semiconductor memory that functions as a disk drive, favoring flash memory over the read/write heads on standard hard drives. SSDs are considered by many to be faster, with shortened times for booting and seeking, and because they lack moving components, they do not require part replacement and are also much quieter than traditional hard drives.

There are many benefits to using an SSD. As stated, they tend to be more responsive than other, similar hardware, and a fluctuation in price range is making them more affordable than ever. The differences in read and write times are significant, and those seeking higher input/output performance should explore the possibilities that SSDs can facilitate.

Types of SSD
Solid state drives can be used in several different capacities. Internal SSDs, like the SanDisk Extreme II and the Seagate 600 Series, are meant to be installed within the system hardware itself. Others, like the LaCie Thunderbolt and the Buffalo Drive Station Mini Thunderbolt, can be connected externally through ports such as USB. These areExternal SSDs.

There are also SSDs designed specifically for businesses. The Kingston SSDNow, the OCZ Talos 2 C Series and the Seagate 600 Pro are all touted as enterprise-class solid state drives. This kind of hardware comes in a variety of sizes, and can be either external or internal. Solutions of this nature also exist in an "industrial" distinction. These units, like the Wintec I-Temp and the Transcend PATA SLC, are often internally installed.

Another alternative still comes in the form of hybrid hard drives. This solution marries the inherently-larger storage space of traditional hard drives with the speeds that SSDs have become popular for providing. This way, items that are accessed frequently can be cached on the solid state portion of the hardware, freeing up the hard drive portion for expanded storage and processing. Models on the market, such as the Hybrid Drive line from Seagate and the Samsung Spinpoint M Series, are viewed as convenient ways to boost performance without using two separate technologies. This is considered by many to be a cost-effective solution to storage and speed dilemmas.

Reactions: Debi
Roy, please explain where you back up to and do you use a special program and how do you recover to a new computer?

Last edited:
The thing I worry about, is the more storage you have, the more you have to lose in a computer crash. So remember everyone to back-up, back-up, and then back-up one more time. My laptop is shot, and I've been getting the black screen of death, the blue screen of near death, and now it's even shutting down from over-heating! :eek: Fortunately it has crashed so often recently, I have been diligent in backing up, and now I'm just trying to eek out its last dying hours as I search for a replacement.
Yes, backing up can't be stressed enough. Some people think it's too complicated and so never do it, but these days it's as simple as a few mouse clicks. I never worry about anything but the documents, pictures and that sort of thing, but some people like to do a periodic image of their entire drive.

BTW, Roy, before you just toss that old laptop aside, might I suggest formatting the hard drive and installing Linux Mint? Linux will run nicely on old hardware, even when Windows might not like it anymore. I just installed Mint on an old laptop for a friend last week. He was about to buy a new one, but I convinced him to allow me to revive his dead one for him, and he seems to be settling into Linux quite well. :)

Yes, backing up can't be stressed enough. Some people think it's too complicated and so never do it, but these days it's as simple as a few mouse clicks. I never worry about anything but the documents, pictures and that sort of thing, but some people like to do a periodic image of their entire drive.

BTW, Roy, before you just toss that old laptop aside, might I suggest formatting the hard drive and installing Linux Mint? Linux will run nicely on old hardware, even when Windows might not like it anymore. I just installed Mint on an old laptop for a friend last week. He was about to buy a new one, but I convinced him to allow me to revive his dead one for him, and he seems to be settling into Linux quite well. :)
OK, you guys are stressing backing up the stuff, but HOW does one do this? You are talking to the Queen of Non-Techie.

Roy Hinkley, Zoilcan has a great question! Please explain, cuz I also need to learn this.
surge is the man to ask here for specifics, but here's what I do. I have an external hard drive hooked up to my home network. The drive is set up to make two exact copies of every back-up, so even if one of my back-ups fail, I still have a second one. For even more protection, I have the drive hooked up in my safe, so it is also protected against fire and theft. You can set up a back-up to either copy everything on your computer, or only specific files. I don't need the entire computer backed-up, so I have it set to copy certain files like documents, photos, emails, etc. If you do crash, the software for the external hard drive will walk you through either re-installing on that computer, or on a new hard drive in a new computer. If you are just buying a new computer, Windows Easy Transfer is a great, easy way to transfer files and settings from one computer to another. It takes a special USB cable that has the USB connector on both ends so you just plug one end into a USB port on both computers, and simply follow the online prompts. Hope that answers some of your questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: surge and Zoilcan