How Did You Get to School?

When my great grandma was a little girl in Sweden ,they would take a horse-drawn wagon to the school on the other side of the lake. In the winter they would take the shortcut on ice skates.

Dad was a high school student in the 1940s in Joliet Illinois ( Elwood picked up his brother Jake from prison in Joliet).
Anyway dad was on the rifle team and would take his .22 on the city bus to school. So would the other team members. And there was never a problem.

I wasn't too keen on school but always got to the school bus stop early. We would play touch football.

I never lived more than half a dozen blocks from school. Got dropped-off and picked up in kindergarten, walked after that. Was only two blocks from high school. Always walked home with a group of friends; there was a little mom & pop grocery store on the way home from elementary school. They had one of those chest-type drink coolers, you would slide the bottle you wanted to the end of the rack and lift it out.

i walked in elementary school, grades 1-6, only about 1/2 mile away..... 7th, 8th, and 9th (jumior high) we rode the bus... high school 10th -12th i drove once i turned 16. high school was cool, we could leave for lunch and go to one of the many fast food places in town. i had all the hours and classes needed by 11th grade to graduate so could leave school at 11:00 am. so was able to leave and attend a vocational school in the extra time.

I used to walk 2 miles to school and back. Then we moved closer and it was a 5 minute walk.

Like Oz, my friend and I were once approached by a man on our walk home. We were around 11 years old at the time.

He asked us if we wanted to "see something" and tried to usher us both round behind a bush. Instead, panicked, we both ran off as fast as we could and told our respective mums when we got home. My mum marched me back to the spot where the incident had happened and the other girl's mum had called the police. We met them in the police car coming the other way.

Apparently, from my friend's description of him (he had a distinctive Scottish accent, large duffle bag and a shaggy beard) he was known to the police as a paedophile and they were worried he might be on his way to the station. They were desperate to catch him before he hopped on a train...

Never knew if they caught him or not but I dread to think what would have happened if we hadn't both immediately run off like lightning!

Never knew if they caught him or not but I dread to think what would have happened if we hadn't both immediately run off like lightning!
Stuff like that makes my blood boil. i remember being twelve years old, and walking home from school with my eleven year old brother. I was wearing my Catholic school uniform. A man sitting in a parked car summoned us over. We didn't come very close. He started saying very adult things to us, so we ran away.

Last edited:
We pretty much walked everywhere as a kid. I walked K - 10th grade to school. My asthma was terrible in 7th and 8th but I walked nearly 2 miles to school. I hated mornings, which is when my asthma was the worst. I allowed an hour to get to school. By afternoon, I was usually okay. Plus, I would stop by the recreation center to shoot pool on the way home. I carried a dime in my penny loafers, 'cause that's what it cost to play. If you didn't knock a ball off the table, you got your dine back.

For 9th and 10th grades, I walked to a much closer high school which I was very grateful.
For 11th and 12th grades, I drove myself to school. I loved it.
I met my husband in a pool hall, fun places.