How Did You Get to School?

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
A week before school started, we found out my 3rd grade granddaughter's bus stop was just under a half mile away, and she'd be on the bus almost an hour both going to school and coming home. My daughter said "no way." Grandpa is now her chauffeur.

How did you get to school? Did you walk? Ride a bike? Take the bus? Have your parents drive you?

A week before school started, we found out my 3rd grade granddaughter's bus stop was just under a half mile away, and she'd be on the bus almost an hour both going to school and coming home. My daughter said "no way." Grandpa is now her chauffeur.

How did you get to school? Did you walk? Ride a bike? Take the bus? Have your parents drive you?
My kids had the same issue. Over an hour each way to and from school since we live rural. There were days when they got on the bus in the dark and got off the bus about a half hour before dark. My shift did not work to take them to and from school, and hubs worked even longer hours up in Indy. Your granddaughter is so blessed to have you! It was very, very, difficult on my kids.

I rode a bus up until I was able to drive. At that point, it was gimme my car and I'll drag my sister with me! Hated the bus ride. Some days I'd walk home from the middle school even though it was quite a walk. I still beat the bus home.

For me, I walked to school K-12. I lived close enough to the school unless the weather was crappy. Even when I was in high school and i had my Drivers license I walked to school. It was quicker to walk then to drive.

In elementary I rode a bus that dropped us at the end of our road. I walked half a mile home every day. I remember thinking it wasn’t safe but hey we drank out of hoses and played on monkey bars back then too lol.

High school I got a ride with friends

We pretty much walked everywhere as a kid. I walked K - 10th grade to school. My asthma was terrible in 7th and 8th but I walked nearly 2 miles to school. I hated mornings, which is when my asthma was the worst. I allowed an hour to get to school. By afternoon, I was usually okay. Plus, I would stop by the recreation center to shoot pool on the way home. I carried a dime in my penny loafers, 'cause that's what it cost to play. If you didn't knock a ball off the table, you got your dine back.

For 9th and 10th grades, I walked to a much closer high school which I was very grateful.
For 11th and 12th grades, I drove myself to school. I loved it.

I walked to both kindergarten and first grade, school was only a couple hundred yards down the street. From there we moved, and the next eleven years I rode a school bus that literally picked me up in front of our house. In high school I could have ridden to school with a kid who lived near by, but my folks didn't think that was a good idea. He wound up wrapping himself and the junk heap he drove around a telephone pole. Parents were right again.

I walked around 3km to primary school then caught a train to high school. It was dangerous walking when young in the city. I remember a creepy bloke trying to get me and my mates into his car with lollies when about 8. We said we aren't that dumb and gave him the bird. When I told mum she said yeah you have to watch out for those people, nothing else was done, lol. My, how times have changed, these days the federal police would be after him.

We were not allowed to drive to school because of deaths on way to school through the years. I rode the bus which was about a half an hour by car to get to the school. All i remember is the one guy who everyone prayed so he would not sit in the same seat as them lol. Wow. He smelled. Luckily he was moving to next grade the following year and thus, new bus. Every so often you get the cool bus driver that played music while enduring the horrible bus ride.