Hitchin' a Ride

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
In the past, hitchhiking was a way of life for many. Stick out the thumb and wait for someone to offer you a lift.
The world has changed a lot since the carefree days of putting your thumb out, but did you ever hitchhike? Did you ever pick up someone and give them a ride?
Got any stories about it?

My one time hitch story: Teenage Debi had her car break down. Needed a ride to a phone. Panic when the semi pulled over to pick me up and I proceeded to run like the devil was at my heels! Got off the highway and plain old hiked myself 2 hours to a pay phone across fields to a town. That's when I got to know all about cows and what is in fields that they live in. lol

I think guys were a bit safer hitchin' than us girls!
definitely.... in 1985 i was going to st.pete, my car blew the engine in lake city. i called a friend to see if he could come down and tow the car back. he could but would be 2 days before he could make it.... i caught a ride on down to st.pete. spent the weekend and then caught a ride back up to lake city in time to meet him and get back home.....lol.....

ha, pulling from the other thread about phones, maps and stuff... not only did we go on long trips with no phones, or gps, we did it many times on bald tires and cars barely able to make it out of the driveway, yet somehow managed to make it to our destination, not even caring how or if we would make it back in the same car we left in....lol

ha, pulling from the other thread about phones, maps and stuff... not only did we go on long trips with no phones, or gps, we did it many times on bald tires and cars barely able to make it out of the driveway, yet somehow managed to make it to our destination, not even caring how or if we would make it back in the same car we left in....lol
Ohh, bald tires and iffy cars....did my fair share of that.

Getting from Lake City to St. Pete and back is quite a feat! Bit of a trip.

I went hunting with a mate when young, we set off at 2am for a 4 hour trip to a farm. We turned off the highway onto a side road at 4am, pitch black. there was a middle aged guy hitching so we pulled over. He pointed to an overturned car ahead and said he'd rolled. I went to open the door for him and my mate locked it and said drive up to the crash. As we approached we realized the car was an old wreck and the guy was walking up with his hand behind his back :eek: . I floored the pedal and we left the guy in dust and stones. As we camped that night we heard on the radio a couple had been abducted at gunpoint by a guy in that area. We didn't sleep and headed back the next day, no rabbits but alive.:relieved: