Have you ever had something (job...chore...date...meal...whatever)...that seemed like the universe just aligned AGAINST you the ENTIRE time?

Selectric

Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
I have had quite a few of those moments where you just wanted to throw the towel in and say Hell With It!. One job i JUST finally finished today fell into that category. I would love to hear your 'life malfunction(s)'. In retrospect, it's nice to look back on them but when they occur...not so much lol.

The first one for me that comes to mind was each time i hooked up with someone and we were going to Do something....my vehicle always broke down lol. Now, it could have been someone watching over me so i wouldn't make some drastic life mistake...but when you are young and those situations arise, you don't think that way. I've had a starter go before a date, a timing chain snap on my way to a motel, i've had a car of mine actually run like crap anytime my current girlfriend at the time got into my car lol. Being older and a tad wiser, i guess it all worked out for the best. But, they are instances that fall under this thread :)

Memories of helping a friend/classmate install a water heater many years ago come to mind. No YouTube videos in those days, you winged your first install with written instructions. We messed up every step of the way, eventually his Dad came over to do it himself.

Memories of helping a friend/classmate install a water heater many years ago come to mind. No YouTube videos in those days, you winged your first install with written instructions. We messed up every step of the way, eventually his Dad came over to do it himself.
Yeah the water heater conundrum. My first winter in my house my 'brand new' water heater decided to go Ka-put over night. I woke to water all over my mud room. Good thing though, it was under warranty that Home Depot at first REFUSED to exchange...till i called the manufacturer and they called the store and told them GIVE me a new one. Still, had to drain on a snowy day, miss work and reinstall a new one...that the lovely employee of Home Depot told me if this one goes, DON'T try to return rofl. I kind of remember telling him something about a water heater flying through their front window if....lol.

That's what working in Hollywood is often like.

• Big Grin
Reactions: Selectric
It is nice to have YouTube now. Back then, yeah we had to wing it lol. Thanks for post Duke.

Reactions: garnetsilver
We’ve all those days. The ones that amaze me are when I’ve been spared a problem with an unexpected rescue that was at the right moment in time. I think think these things go both ways.

for me, any plumbing job should be allotted 2 days and fourty two trips to home depot....... and then it will only finally be fixed with 6 pounds of pipe putty and multiple rolls of every kind of tape made.......... and then it can never be touched again, dont even look at, just a gaze could cause a re-break and flooding. not a normal leak but hoover dam collapse type flooding..............yeah, plumbing is not my thing, and the universe is aware.....

for me, any plumbing job should be allotted 2 days and fourty two trips to home depot....... and then it will only finally be fixed with 6 pounds of pipe putty and multiple rolls of every kind of tape made.......... and then it can never be touched again, dont even look at, just a gaze could cause a re-break and flooding. not a normal leak but hoover dam collapse type flooding..............yeah, plumbing is not my thing, and the universe is aware.....
I read this to my husband and son...both laughed so hard they hurt themselves! They know...ohhhh they know....

My standard statement is don't touch that so I don't have to call a plumber to unplumb what you plumbed. Just let me call one before you make the job more expensive.

Being a bowling greenkeeper in my earlier years the universe, weather wise is always against you. I remember a state championship coming up and spent 6 weeks getting the greens spot on only for it to rain buckets for two days before the event :anguished: .