First post here, trying to make sense of something that happened

Ionica

Reaction score
This is my first post here, and I am trying to make sense of something that happened in the summer of 1975. I was 14 at the time and I was on holiday with my parents. For three weeks they rented a holiday apartment (flat) somewhere in the ancient town of Rye, Sussex, England. It is a town with a very long history, and although the flat had been modernised (by 1970's standards) the building was, I think, very old.
This was really my parents experience, but it became my story too when they told me about it because it had such a profound effect on me. Shortly after we arrived, first my mother and then later my father too started to hear footsteps as if somebody was walking along the hallway at night. There was a long hallway there running along the length of the building. If they got up to investigate, there was never anybody there. This only ever happened at night and only in darkness. If they turned the light on it would stop, and nothing strange ever happened during the daytime. I was a heavy sleeper at the time and was unaware of what was happening. I have other theories too as to the possible reason why I remained unawares and was not disturbed by this.
The activity did seem to escalate the longer we stayed in the flat. Things used to occasionally disappear from where they had been left and then they would turn up in some unexpected place; often in a particular cupboard in the kitchen. My parents thought that much of the activity seemed to centre around that cupboard, at night before they went to bed they used to close the cupboard and put a large pile of newspapers up against the door to hold it closed and when they got up in the morning the papers used to be pushed away and the cupboard door would be open. They suspected that there had once been a staircase where that cupboard was, they even thought they could see where the stairs had originally been. My father was out walking one evening and he happened to come across a small crucifix lying in the street. He picked it up and took it back to the flat and without telling my mother or myself about it, he placed it above their bedroom doorframe in the hope of keeping this presence away. In the morning my mother found the crucifix lying on the kitchen floor. It was a large apartment with a long hallway, down a couple of steps and around a corner from my parents bedroom to the kitchen, so it is unlikely that one of us could have unknowingly kicked it all that way. There was a vacuum cleaner supplied in the flat and my father was constantly vacuuming up glass from the area behind the living room door. However much glass he vacuumed up, more kept appearing. Whatever was there also seemed to interfere with the electrical appliances. It used to stop the clock on the electric cooker in the small hours of the morning, and the tv never worked when there was something on that we wanted to watch. The night before we left it worked perfectly.
But the scariest sounding thing to happen was when my mother was lying down in bed and she felt a hand stroking her face. She knew that it wasn't my father; he was lying down on the other side of her. My father on the other hand, first spoke to this presence, asking it to leave him alone. It didn't and he lost patience and cursed at it. Next thing he felt a sensation like an electric shock going up his arm. He always claimed that it had given him an electric shock. The last night that we spent in the flat my parents had their luggage cases packed and ready to go in the morning. They had tissue paper in their cases and they heard rustling inside their cases as if somebody was going through their luggage.
Just as we were about to leave to come home my parents told me what had been happening. They had both been sceptical up until that time, especially my father. He was a man who did not change his mind easily about things. But something happened during the course of our stay to completely change his belief system. I know that they were both scared there and relieved when our three week stay came to an end. When my parents told me, I was terrified. They had known better than to tell me while we were still staying in the flat as I would not have been able to cope. I still feel uneasy thinking about this, but I am also intrigued and would love to better understand what happened. Was it a ghost? Was it poltergeist activity as my previously very sceptical father thought? I have done an exhaustive search online but nothing has come up regrding this particular place being haunted. I have made some enquiries via the internet andhave heard from somebody who lived there for quite a few years. She said she only had one experience of hearing footsteps in the loft when nobody from her household was up there. This apparently only happened once and she didn't experience anything else there.
Thanks for reading and apologies that this is quite a long post.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing this experience. :)

It is much like a classic "haunting" in what you present. It sounds like it was an active spirit and not residual in that it could move objects around the house at will.

Sometimes an entity is quite fine with people living in what they see as "their" space, which is why you may not be able to get many other reports about the place having activity. As you were visitors, it could have not liked having you there, wanted attention, or someone in your family was a latent medium who somehow stirred it up.

The other possibility is that of a poltergeist activity event. Poltergeists are often "triggered" by young girls going through puberty. The chaotic psychic energy of the child (who has no idea whatsoever they are triggering it and zero control of it) often causes such activity to occur. Since you had no activity like this upon returning home it would not be my first choice of what happened there, but it is always possible.

To me, the experience is more in line with a spirit who just wanted your parents to know it was there and who was claiming it's space. When your dad tried to confront it, it zapped him a bit. Electrical interference is also common when a spirit wants to push someone out of it's space.

You may never know the actual reasons why it happened, however, it is typical of a haunting situation and your best bet is to simply acknowledge the experience was real and not allow it to disturb you. Sometimes when we investigate too deeply it can draw more activity to you, even this late in the timeline.

Welcome to the forum. You have been carrying this around some time.

It is possible there were more than one spirit involved here. The footsteps upstairs may be different to the broken glass, but that and other things point to poltergeist activity.
Electrical disturbances are certainly possible. I've experienced a few myself, turning items off are common, sometimes on and sometimes when you ask for interaction. My partner was electrocuted in a very active place too.
She was also in a place where items would appear in strange places. Hers centred around the kitchen too, and when I stayed there we could hear the kitchen cupboards opening and closing at night.

Maybe one weird thing about some spirits is they can claim a small space for themselves. This may be too small to fit an actual human. It is possible to avoid activity if that area is left closed.

I would say there was at least one spirit in that place, possibly more, but they are probably still there, so I wouldn't worry too much about it happening again.

Thank you for posting.

Welcome to the group. Long posts are good, maybe even great. I say that because I am the worst/best at doing long wandering posts. I will offer a slightly different possibility. While in general, I agree with what Deb had to say I also wonder if it might have been a sort of poltergeist activity that was brought on or intensified by a possible existing more gentle spirit that in some way helped to activate or empower a weak poltergeist activity. The two forces together became busier as they fed off each other. When everyone returned to their normal place this didn't go home with you.

I knew a family that had a poltergeist activity. Normally it was a very mild and mostly sort of cute type of mischief BUT when their family would get together and there were two young girls in the house it would step up big and get much more aggressive. Instead of things being moved they might instead fly off a shelf. It turned out that both had the little haunts when they were at home but any time the two girls got together things happened at a different rate even when they were not at either person's house.

I have to say that those little girls WERE two of the orneriest little girls that you would ever imagine but when together they fed off each other. Nonetheless, the things that happened when they were together were not things that they could have physically done. At that time people didn't know as much about such things. There was no internet where you could go and ask. Understanding at that time was harder to come too. Fortunately, I think that their Granny was a witch and so able to offer some explanation.

Welcome to the forum. I think Debi covered your question as good as possible. Some things are never explained.

Reactions: ozentity and Debi
Thanks for your interesting replies, they've given me food for much thought. Although I am fascinated by the paranormaI, I don't know a lot about it and I hope that sharing here can help me to better understand, and so be more at peace with what happened all those years ago.
I like TexDanm's suggestion of 'a sort of poltergeist activity that was brought on or intensified by a possible existing more gentle spirit'. That could explain why the lady who I heard from and who lived there for several years only had that one experience of hearing footsteps in the loft on just one occasion. The flat is above a tearoom which the same woman still runs and she said that she has had a few times when she thought she saw somebody walk along the alley at the side of the tea room but that she couldn't be sure. So yes it probably is usually quite a gentle spirit that resides there.
I have always believed that the spirit that my parents encountered was of the kind that is activated by the energy of a living person. At the time I was an extremely nervous, not to mention moody young teenage girl with very high levels of anxiety. I was also paranoid about the possibility of ghosts wherever I went. In short, I was a bit emotionally disturbed and many years later I got a late diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome; a type of Autism which was not known about at that time. So I was far from being a happy, carefree or 'ordinary' teenager. I also had quite a crush on a certain boy band that was popular at the time. I have since read that the psychic energy that that kind of crush generates can 'trigger' poltergeist type activity. I ticked all of the boxes. I don't think my parents experienced any activity like this once we returned home, they never gave any indecation that they did. But then again they probably wouldn't have dared tell me if they had! Because I had such an extreme fear reaction when they told me what had happened on holiday and I was actually terrified that we might somehow bring it home with us! One theory I have as to why I didn't personally experience the things my parents did is that besides being a heavy sleeper at the time, if I was unknowingly 'triggering' this activity, then perhaps I only gave off that energy when I was asleep. I would be interested if any of you have an opinion on that.
It's interesting that Debi mentioned the possibility that someone in my family was a latent medium who stirred up the activity. I think my mother was a bit 'psychic'. She was the first to hear the footsteps and the first to become aware of this entity. And yes she did get the feeling that it didn't like us being there. Not long after that holiday I visited a museum with her and although I didn't feel uncomfortable in there, my mother strongly sensed a presence. She said she felt as if somebody was standing right behind her although there was no physical person there, and she felt quite uncomfortable and was glad to leave. She also had an experience before I was born concerning possible reincarnation and the possibility of a previous life, and other smaller experiences too. My mother was never comfortable with any psychic abilities that she may have had and would not have wanted to develop them. But maybe her energy and mine combined might have triggered a normally gentle spirit. I would welcome any ideas anyone might have about that.
I have heard from the now owner that the flat is once again being rented out as a holiday let. She sent me photos and it all looks very nice and everyone who has stayed there and who has reviewed it seems to really like it. So the mystery deepens, and that is possibly what it will remain; a bit of a mystery as to what happened there. My son, who is quite sceptical, said he wouldn't mind spending a night there. I think it would be a mistake for me to return.
Maybe one weird thing about some spirits is they can claim a small space for themselves. This may be too small to fit an actual human. It is possible to avoid activity if that area is left closed.
I noticed in the photo the now owner sent me that a heavy appliance, some kind of oven I think, has been placed up against that kitchen cupboard!
Thanks for the welcome.

Just as an aside comment, In my opinion, poltergeist activity is not done by the person that is powering it. I think that the veil between the different levels of existence are very thin but normally they keep our actions contained as it does those on the other side. What I think happens is that when there is enough emotional energy to power it, it attracts these little "imps" and allows them to express their mischief into our world. The hormonal change when a little girl starts to change is more sudden and faster than the slower puberty of boys. The male version happens later and mostly manifests in physical violence rather than emotional. Your problems exacerbated the stress of that change and so your high emotional quotient offered the power to what was there but you were in no way responsible for it. Life around me was a living hell for my parents for several years.

As you get older your problems may level out somewhat. Mine did level out some when I was in my early 20s. Some of it you learn to live with and some of it you learn to avoid. I was an unshielded empath...my Mother went ape when she had a hysterectomy and was plunged into the change of life as it was called back then. Think of the worst case of PMS EVER that never ends!!! I soaked up that misery like a sponge. Things in that house were always disappearing. Most were never found. It isn't just the girls that can feed the "imps".

I think that a lot of times the problems that kids have are like that. Some of us are born wide open and then as we grow we learn how to separate ourselves from the pain of others. If your Mom is sensitive she maybe what I think of as broadcasting. Sometimes it is like a two-way radio that is turned on and they don't know how to turn it off. Try to become aware of your feelings and learn to sperate those that are valid and have a reason from those that you just "feel" without a cause. Once you look at the feelings and recognize them as not yours it gets easier to not be as influenced by them.

Don't fear the ghosts. Most are little more than a memory. A calm mind offers them little to use or be attracted to.

Last edited:
Reactions: garnetsilver
learn to sperate those that are valid and have a reason from those that you just "feel" without a cause.

Ionica, I second TexDanm's input. As an empath, I learned early how to do this so that I didn't waste time pondering other's emotions uselessly.

It's not a mystical skill to learn - it's a simple cognitive skill. When I suspect I've received someone else's emotions, I stop - quiet my mind for a moment - and ask myself, "Is this feeling at all related to what I am doing right now, right here?" If that doesn't give me clarity I ask myself this second question, "Could this feeling be related to something which I am processing in the back of my mind less consciously - yet something relevant to me personally?"

If the answer to either question comes up with a confident "No", then I take a few minutes to mediate and refocus my thoughts on whatever it was that I was trying to do before I got interrupted.

Last edited:
Just as an aside comment, In my opinion, poltergeist activity is not done by the person that is powering it. I think that the veil between the different levels of existence are very thin but normally they keep our actions contained as it does those on the other side. What I think happens is that when there is enough emotional energy to power it, it attracts these little "imps" and allows them to express their mischief into our world. The hormonal change when a little girl starts to change is more sudden and faster than the slower puberty of boys. The male version happens later and mostly manifests in physical violence rather than emotional. Your problems exacerbated the stress of that change and so your high emotional quotient offered the power to what was there but you were in no way responsible for it. Life around me was a living hell for my parents for several years.

As you get older your problems may level out somewhat. Mine did level out some when I was in my early 20s. Some of it you learn to live with and some of it you learn to avoid. I was an unshielded empath...my Mother went ape when she had a hysterectomy and was plunged into the change of life as it was called back then. Think of the worst case of PMS EVER that never ends!!! I soaked up that misery like a sponge. Things in that house were always disappearing. Most were never found. It isn't just the girls that can feed the "imps".

I think that a lot of times the problems that kids have are like that. Some of us are born wide open and then as we grow we learn how to separate ourselves from the pain of others. If your Mom is sensitive she maybe what I think of as broadcasting. Sometimes it is like a two-way radio that is turned on and they don't know how to turn it off. Try to become aware of your feelings and learn to sperate those that are valid and have a reason from those that you just "feel" without a cause. Once you look at the feelings and recognize them as not yours it gets easier to not be as influenced by them.

Don't fear the ghosts. Most are little more than a memory. A calm mind offers them little to use or be attracted to.
Excellent post Dan!!! This really helped me to understand how the poltergeist energy may work. A good theory.

Ionic, I second TexDanm's input. As an empath, I learned early how to do this so that I didn't waste time pondering other's emotions uselessly.

It's not a mystical skill to learn - it's a simple cognitive skill. When I suspect I've received someone else's emotions, I stop - quiet my mind for a moment - and ask myself, "Is this feeling at all related to what I am doing right now, right here?" If that doesn't give me clarity I ask myself this second question, "Could this feeling be related to something which I am processing in the back of my mind less consciously - yet something relevant to me personally?"

If the answer to either question comes up with a confident "No", then I take a few minutes to mediate and refocus my thoughts on whatever it was that I was trying to do before I got interrupted.
Great advice Wands. We have a lot of empathic members and this will be helpful advice.