Do you have a prayer request?

One for my dad. I think he's just given up. He tore his hamstring last July and it wasn't ever rehabbed, he has two bad shoulders and while he can still move around on his own, what he can do is limited. My brother and I are going again tomorrow after work to clean the house for him and on top of that, he hasn't left the house in months.
Praying for him. Get him out and maybe he will feel more like rehabbing himself. Sometimes a little help and encouragement goes a long way.

Praying for your Dad, Wolf. It is hard when your life is constant pain and discomfort, and this can bring a person down. Are there any hobbies that he can still do? Lynne is right; getting him out of the house can do wonders.

Praying for your Dad, Wolf. It is hard when your life is constant pain and discomfort, and this can bring a person down. Are there any hobbies that he can still do? Lynne is right; getting him out of the house can do wonders.
He’s an excellent photographer, but he hasn’t done that in quite some time now. He was going to take pictures of a meteor shower the other night, but the weather prevented it.

Praying for him. Get him out and maybe he will feel more like rehabbing himself. Sometimes a little help and encouragement goes a long way.
He’s talked about getting back out again but he has yet to do so. I brought him a home cooked meal last Friday. He doesn’t cook anymore and orders food everyday.

He will be in our thoughts LW. Same with your aunt, Garnet. I agree your dad has to get outside and not eat out so much. I saw that happen to my buddy's mother and my other buddy's father. They have to want to get around though. It is difficult when in constant pain. I'll be going through that soon with my father. His health is declining. He is on constant oxygen now and can barely walk to door without using it. I'm sure the excessive heat in FLA isn't helping.

• Sad
Reactions: garnetsilver
He will be in our thoughts LW. Same with your aunt, Garnet. I agree your dad has to get outside and not eat out so much. I saw that happen to my buddy's mother and my other buddy's father. They have to want to get around though. It is difficult when in constant pain. I'll be going through that soon with my father. His health is declining. He is on constant oxygen now and can barely walk to door without using it. I'm sure the excessive heat in FLA isn't helping.
OK, folks. I'm gonna jump in here a moment. I had over 30 years dealing with geriatrics and specialized in it, and now I am one. Pain and disability can cause a person to spend more energy than they have "going out" somewhere. My advice to you all who want to increase the quality of life for aging parents is to bring the activities into the home and keep it local if that is what the parent needs or can tolerate. Going "out" can be extremely taxing on someone who is ill, but you can bring home a favorite take out meal, sit on the porch to watch the birds and discuss it with them, find photo ops outside the front door in the yard, engage in games, pursue a joint interest where they can rest and relax doing it with you. I know Lynne actually watches her mom's favorite TV shows (even though Lynne doesn't care for them) just so she and her mom can share chats about it. Her mom enjoys the chats and gossip. Also, cooking for one is depressing on it's own, so cook a meal and deliver and share it with them.

As we get older, the thing we value most is your time, love, and attention. That alone can change an outlook on life. They may no longer be able to be "active" as you remember or want them to be, but they sure can enjoy time with you and find joy in life if you are in it with them.

This from someone who lives this daily.

• Love it
Reactions: ozentity and Duke
Hopefully i did not offend anyone by my post there. I am an electrician, not a doctor. I never claim to know all the answers, just what i feel. I would love to spend a hell of a lot of time with my parents, but being at least 16 hours away, kind hard. We (Family) have been trying to convince my parents to come back here so we CAN be closer. Tried to find a hobby for them. The only real 'hobby' for them was work ( I wonder where i get it from?) Tried fishing with my father, nope. Never liked it. Now i wait for the day i travel down there to bring them home. So hope i didn't overstep, i will continue to pray for everyones better health and spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: garnetsilver
Hopefully i did not offend anyone by my post there. I am an electrician, not a doctor. I never claim to know all the answers, just what i feel. I would love to spend a hell of a lot of time with my parents, but being at least 16 hours away, kind hard. We (Family) have been trying to convince my parents to come back here so we CAN be closer. Tried to find a hobby for them. The only real 'hobby' for them was work ( I wonder where i get it from?) Tried fishing with my father, nope. Never liked it. Now i wait for the day i travel down there to bring them home. So hope i didn't overstep, i will continue to pray for everyones better health and spirit.
Selectric, my post was not "aimed" at you in any negative way, hon. I simply used it as a way to link into the conversation to offer some education on dealing with us old folks. With you being miles away from your parents, you are limited in what you can do other than keep in close contact by phone or email, which I know you do.

I will see what I can do about making this a separate thread to discuss the issue, as I know it's a difficult one for many these days.