D-Day...the Final Salute

Music to move you from Saving Private Ryan.

I know most people consider "Saving Private Ryan" as the best D-Day, maybe best WWII period, movie ever made, but I'm still a fan of this 1962, black & white classic, "The Longest Day." It features an amazing caste, and covers D-Day from many different angles. I've probably seen it twenty times, but I never miss it when it comes on TCM or AMC.

I know most people consider "Saving Private Ryan" as the best D-Day, maybe best WWII period, movie ever made, but I'm still a fan of this 1962, black & white classic, "The Longest Day." It features an amazing caste, and covers D-Day from many different angles. I've probably seen it twenty times, but I never miss it when it comes on TCM or AMC.

Watched it many times and yes a classic.

Today’s Rangers scale Normandy cliff in honor of one of D-Day’s boldest actions

image.jpg
Charlie mike, RANGERS lead the way.

At this point in the war the German High command was in a dispute over where to put their tanks prior to the invasion. Some wanted tanks placed near the English Channel and others wanted them well back in reserve. The commander on the ground (not Rommel tho ) divided the tanks ,and other armor, between the Channel and near Paris. This made both elements ineffective.
Another Quirk of History was Hitler was not woken up when the invasion commenced. It's not as if his participation would have helped the Germans, it's just unique that he was not woken.
By this time Hitler's life was regulated by stimulants and sedatives. He was not going to sleep or be awake without being heavily medicated.
Not to make light of this, but this is much like Michael Jackson. Other than Hitler had many physicians and they did not know what the other ones were doing and prescribing. Michael Jackson's physician just didn't know what he was doing.

My dad was an Army Ranger and Paratrooper during WWII and the Korean War. I only saw him about once a year while I was growing up but I loved him very much and the time we did spend together was always an adventure. He died when I was twelve while he was stationed in Germany.

I don't know a lot but I know he told me he was a Ranger and I later learned he was a Paratrooper that parachuted behind enemy lines in WWII. I have pictures of him and his outfit along with his flag and all his medals which include a Bronze Star and A Purple Heart and a whole bunch of others for this and that... but I don't know the history of how they came about or which war. I assume the Purple Heart was from the Korean War because he took a bayonet to the stomach and found it endlessly entertaining to spook me with the scar. lol

Needless to say here, my Mother and Father were not together by the time I was 2 and Mama had a passionate disdain for my dad... the two families HATED each other and I wasn't allowed to spend much time with my Fathers family and what time I did spend with them was NOT pleasant. So, no one talked to me about my dad, but my dad... and I was so very young War was not a subject we discussed. Root Beer Floats... we discussed lots and lots of those. lol

The last time I saw him I was twelve and he was home on leave and we spent 3 days going here and there all over the State and exploring and just being happy. I didn't realize he was leaving until he was dropping me off at home... He said let's sit and we did on the porch step, and he told me he had to go and he was sorry to go but it was his job to go. I THREW A FIT! I well remember that. I said terrible things to him. Terrible. He just took it and waited. When the hurt that caused such anger in me finally exhausted me I sat back down by him sobbing. This is what he told me then, about War.

He told me that there was a terrible black cloud covering much of the Earth. He said it was full of hateful things that were so monstrous that if it wasn't stopped it would cover the whole Earth. He said if he didn't Stand why would others. And then he told me about the Camps. He did NOT hold back on this thing. He had helped liberate them you see. And he wanted me to know and understand the face of the Monster he was fighting. I listened. I heard. I hated that monster and I hated my father for leaving to fight it. After a while he said he had to go, it was late and not getting any easier I suppose. I stood up and turned my back on him and walked away as he called my name. I never told him good-bye. Just a few months later he was dead.

I am not telling this tale for sympathy so don't be sad. I am telling this tale in Remembrance and Honor of All Warriors for The Light and especially those who leave their families behind to fight the good fight in THIS world for the rest of us.

A Tip of The Cup To You
A Hale and A Heart To You
A Gentle Sail To You
Until We Meet Again

Heya