Brunswick Stew

i can remember the little 2 inch bottles of tobasco that came in all MRE's back when. think i had a collection of those that ran in the hundreds for a while. probably still have a few stashed away somewhere....lol

I say kudos to the Georgians or Virginians or anyone
who continues the Brunswick Stew tradition.
With cooler weather coming, I say LETS make / get some
I have made it my mission to try different restaurant's version of this soup this Autumn.
Heck, I may make my own !

Both Virginia and Georgia and perhaps North Carolina lay claim to creating this wonderful soup. If you have not tried it, it is yummy

View attachment 43194
Brunswick Stew - Georgia Style

This recipe uses four meats, but traditionally it used the catch of the day. I have had it with chicken or pork or beef

Georgia Style

I say kudos to the Georgians or Virginians or anyone
who continues the Brunswick Stew tradition.
With cooler weather coming, I say LETS make / get some
Is this basically the inside of a chicken pot pie without the crust? Looks really good.

Reactions: Paulm and Paintman
Is this basically the inside of a chicken pot pie without the crust? Looks really good.
The Brunswick Stew I ate in Virginia was both thick and hardy, similar to Irish Stew. As I recall what I ate had pork and/or beef in it. A bowl of it and a roll or two was a meal.

Thanks Critter for posting those recipes ! Think I'll put one together with chicken and andouille sausage.

I have one problem with the description of one of the recipes.
They say you could add leftover pulled pork. There is no such thing as leftover pulled pork.

I love Tabasco sauce on pizza. Louisiana on fried chicken. Chapula on Mexican.

I love pot pies and I like Brunswick stew. Similar ingredients, but the taste is different. Most Brunswick stews pass the spoon test (doesn't fall over when you stick the spoon in vertically.

Reactions: Paulm and Selectric
They say you could add leftover pulled pork. There is no such thing as leftover pulled pork.
As I get older, I tend to eat less at one sitting and this allows me to have a second meal. Sometimes Mrs Critter and I order one meal and share it as many restaurants portions are large. Also, sharing one meal saves room for desert :)

I lived in Georgia for 2 years and Virginia for a year and a half and never had Brunswick stew, but I was in the army when I was in Georgia and living with my in laws when I was in Virginia. No one cooked anything but biscuits in that family except the step dad, who was from up north and had been a navy cook.

Re-reading this thread on an empty stomach is not a good idea. Now I gotta see what's in the fridge.