Bread

Being British I love the sound of "English Toasting Bread" -as I have never heard of it before, and we don't have a frozen bread section either.

I have a theory that we have only become allergic to wheat that has been modified as glyphosphate resistant, then sprayed with it. Something tells me it is only a matter of time before some side effects become apparent, and maybe already are.

I do like to bake bread. Just plain white or wholemeal - as a plait on a flat sheet so it can do it's thing and still look good no matter what size it gets. I have done a mixed bun loaf that was little rolls in a large tin with poppyseeds and that was good, but a faff. Tin loaves are a bit boring and is cheaper to buy. I do have a bread maker and used it daily when I was 6 miles from a shop, Bread from that is....functional but always seemed a bit coarse.
Tonight I made 3 x14" pizzas and a flat garlic bread,(with Chinese style salt and pepper chips) and am getting better each time - all courtesy of Youtube. Half sourdough starter, and about 1/5 wholemeal. Need more work on the sauce as it lacked depth.
Only ate half of it as it was huge!...lunch tomorrow.

I agree that the flour that is made available to us nowadays is probably adulterated. I never had a problem with bread as a kid, but I do now. I once bought something called heritage flour, which was supposedly more like flour used to be, but it gave me an upset stomach.

Reactions: Donna K.
I've been baking my own bread for decades, all varieties. No particular favourite but what got me into this was the time I spent in France where people bought French bread twice a day mostly baguettes as no preservatives were used, there is nothing better than fresh bread.

I have been warned off gluten, but when I eat it anyway, I love this English toasting bread that is sold at our local farmer's market. They also sell really delicious hamburger buns. Also, love rye bread especially in a Ruben sandwich. When being good, I eat Ezekial bread. It's found in the frozen breads section of the store. It doesn't irritate my GI tract as much as traditional breads do, since it is made from sprouted grains. I used to make homemade bread, and it always turned out well.
I’ve heard that store bought bread is hard to digest because it is made so quickly and is full of preservatives. Homemade bread that is allowed two rising stages is more digestible. Debi and I have an easy recipe if you want to try it. You will not want to eat regular bread again. I think you will find it doesn’t bother your stomach.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I’ve heard that store bought bread is hard to digest because it is made so quickly and is full of preservatives. Homemade bread that is allowed two rising stages is more digestible. Debi and I have an easy recipe if you want to try it. You will not want to eat regular bread again. I think you will find it doesn’t bother your stomach.
I'd love that recipe! I really miss good, homemade bread.

I have loved them all so well & know no bread as my own favorite. Its because Everyone I have loved Brought me different bread.

One Grandma shared Italian braided french bread from her cousins bakery. The other Grandma brought me delicious pumpernickel.

I found Amazing Armenian sesame seed covered circles of bread near my first job. I started my marriage making fresh ground wheat bread pretty horribly.

Then I found Portuguese sweet bread in the town my husband works. A restaurant owner near my job showed me how to make corn tortillas . So I even tried making quick flat breads.

Now I have high gluten white flour and blue corn masa in the house. And while I easily make flour bread machine in a hurry.... I crave artisan baked french breads. I wish for a routine in which I can learn artisan sponges or slow twice rise french bread baking skills.

Last edited: