Blue Lightning

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

This is the first time they’ve ever seen this blue lightning shoot up like that.
An amazing 245 blue flashes were recorded as the space station flew 250 miles above the Bay of Bengal. Crazy activity!

For years, scientists have been piecing together evidence of peculiar phenomena known as red sprites, blue jets, pixies and elves – exotic types of electrical discharges that emanate from thunderstorms.

Just one week after his arrival on the International Space Station, Danish astronaut Andreas Mogensen captured the best evidence that blue jets exist.

Denmark’s National Space Institute has now published the results, confirming many kilometre-wide blue flashes around 18 km altitude, including a pulsating blue jet reaching 40 km. A video recorded by Andreas as he flew over the Bay of Bengal at 28 800 km/h on the Station shows the electrical phenomena clearly – a first of its kind.

This is the first time they’ve ever seen this blue lightning shoot up like that” Mogensen said.

Close study of the discharges, known as transient luminous events, could help scientists understand more fully how the atmosphere serves as a shield against space radiation.

Reactions: Taliesin
I immediately thought of the game for the Atari Lynx of the same name when I saw this topic! lol
LOL Now we have a new clue how that mind of yours works! :p Boys and their toys! (I've raised 4...I know how this works!)

This is the first time they’ve ever seen this blue lightning shoot up like that.
An amazing 245 blue flashes were recorded as the space station flew 250 miles above the Bay of Bengal. Crazy activity!

For years, scientists have been piecing together evidence of peculiar phenomena known as red sprites, blue jets, pixies and elves – exotic types of electrical discharges that emanate from thunderstorms.

Just one week after his arrival on the International Space Station, Danish astronaut Andreas Mogensen captured the best evidence that blue jets exist.

Denmark’s National Space Institute has now published the results, confirming many kilometre-wide blue flashes around 18 km altitude, including a pulsating blue jet reaching 40 km. A video recorded by Andreas as he flew over the Bay of Bengal at 28 800 km/h on the Station shows the electrical phenomena clearly – a first of its kind.

This is the first time they’ve ever seen this blue lightning shoot up like that” Mogensen said.

Close study of the discharges, known as transient luminous events, could help scientists understand more fully how the atmosphere serves as a shield against space radiation.

Cool study. Lightning always fascinates me.

Reactions: Debi
Not sure if I've seen blue lightning, but one time I was in the car going to Target, when I got to the parking lot, there was a huge bolt of lightning that might have struck the store. It was so close, I actually saw it fizzle away. It was awesome.

Reactions: Debi
Not sure if I've seen blue lightning, but one time I was in the car going to Target, when I got to the parking lot, there was a huge bolt of lightning that might have struck the store. It was so close, I actually saw it fizzle away. It was awesome.
I've not seen blue lightning, but lightning and I have a history, in a weird way. My husband took an indirect strike once (I still say he had that one comin'...lol) and my grandparent's house had "ball lighting" hit their home and bounce around inside scorching things as it went. Another time when I lived in Florida, lightning came through the lines and a bolt came out of the electric stove top hitting a metal chair by the kitchen table....one somebody had just stood up from, btw. So, when I see any kind of lightning, I do enjoy watching it but I respect the hell out of it!

I've not seen blue lightning, but lightning and I have a history, in a weird way. My husband took an indirect strike once (I still say he had that one comin'...lol) and my grandparent's house had "ball lighting" hit their home and bounce around inside scorching things as it went. Another time when I lived in Florida, lightning came through the lines and a bolt came out of the electric stove top hitting a metal chair by the kitchen table....one somebody had just stood up from, btw. So, when I see any kind of lightning, I do enjoy watching it but I respect the hell out of it!
Should I come to visit, I am leaving all electronics locked up in a metal box or faraday cage.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Debi are u attracting the lightening

Debi are u attracting the lightening
Don't think so, Lynne. I was not physically present during the first two events, although nearby. The Florida incident I was right there and almost got blasted! I was the one in the chair and just knew I had to "get up". It got hit about 10 seconds later.

The ball lightning my grandparents had hit their home was so unusual that it was written up in the newspaper. An actual ball of lightning zipped around their home scorching where it hit then just poofed out of existence. They even had local science types from Valparaiso University out to verify and investigate. I was about 16 at the time, and my grandmother swore it chased her down the hallway. This was their second time around with lightning....a lightning strike actually caused a huge fire at their restaurant when I was about 10. Grandma was terrified of any storm.

Hubs got side swiped taking cover under a tree....not so smart. In through hand and out through foot. He's had Raynaud's Syndrome ever since. I was in the house, so not physically near him.