Best Sci-fi or Paranormal TV show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I'm an old trekker. What's the best show out there?

One? You want me to limit my answer to ONE? Bah! I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Okay, then...

In the science fiction category, I would list Star Trek, in all incarnations (even though Voyager was sometimes more work to watch than pleasure), Babylon 5 and Doctor Who as my favorites. I started watching Trek reruns when I was probably 7 or 8 years old... it was on every Saturday afternoon with Tarzan (Ron Ely), and I discovered Doctor Who on PBS back in the mid-70s. Babylon 5 was first run syndication back in the 90s, and many people never watched it because of the odd times that it was shown in some markets. I had a BUD at the time, and would record the feed as it was sent out to affiliates on Wednesday or Thursday. I miss those big dishes sometimes, although I'm sure there probably isn't much in the clear on them these days anyway.

Paranormal? I'm going obvious here and saying X-Files, although I was a huge fan of Kolchak: The Night Stalker back in the 70s as well. I spent a lot of time watching In Search Of and Sightings, also. I don't follow any of the current crop of ghost hunter shows that are on now, but I do watch occasional episodes of all of them. There is never enough real evidence of anything to keep me coming back regularly, and I really don't like the way they coach the audience on the EVP recordings. They should allow people to listen to it a couple of times before sharing what they think it says. Once you're told what it's supposed to be saying, you can't listen objectively.

Sorry for not being more concise, but science fiction is my favorite genre. I could have thrown Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, Primeval, Torchwood and plenty of obscurities into my mix as well, but I have decent weather today and leaves that need to be raked, so it's off to the yard for me.
raking-leaves-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: Debi
Wow! I hereby dub you Sir Surge, ruler of the domain of Sci-Fi Tv! I am impressed with your knowledge! (And thanks for the walk down memory lane.)
Hey everyone...this is the "topic of the day" thread and not my personal domain, so for diversity in topics, please, please feel free to post the topic! Surge, how about you take Friday's topic, hmmmmm? After all, I did give you a title and claim to a kingdom...lol!

My favorite paranormal tv show was Fringe when it was on. I missed the entire last season, so need to go back to watch it. I hope they didn't screw up the ending of the series with anything stupid. I have been watching Witches of East Side, and love all kinds of witchy shows like Charmed, Secret Circle, Eastwick (before ABC prematurely sh!tcanned it), etc.

Surprisingly, that new show Dracula is also very good. I half expected it to suck, but it doesn't. (pun intended) I used to watch Vampire Diaries, except they kept killing off all the good cast members. When they killed off Bonnie, I decided that was it for me. The show had been dragging since season 3, anyway. I did not tune into The Originals, the spin off from Vampire Diaries. I really don't give a rat's ass about any of the characters. Not even the yummy Klaus.

My favorite paranormal tv show was Fringe when it was on. I missed the entire last season, so need to go back to watch it. I hope they didn't screw up the ending of the series with anything stupid. I have been watching Witches of East Side, and love all kinds of witchy shows like Charmed, Secret Circle, Eastwick (before ABC prematurely sh!tcanned it), etc.

Surprisingly, that new show Dracula is also very good. I half expected it to suck, but it doesn't. (pun intended) I used to watch Vampire Diaries, except they kept killing off all the good cast members. When they killed off Bonnie, I decided that was it for me. The show had been dragging since season 3, anyway. I did not tune into The Originals, the spin off from Vampire Diaries. I really don't give a rat's ass about any of the characters. Not even the yummy Klaus.
I used to watch Charmed, but kept having problems with the accuracy of them casting spells! lol (Actually, they did come closer to proper spell casting than most shows. At least some of the theory was right.) I was a huge X Files fan, loved all forms of Star Trek, and now find myself critiquing most of the paranormal shows out there. I felt Paranormal State was probably closest to the real deal of actual ghost investigating. Now, I'm more into radio until they come up with something that can get my interest again!
And Nekki, feel free to throw a topic on here! You're such an interesting person, I know you have great topics just waiting to be posted!

I used to watch Charmed, but kept having problems with the accuracy of them casting spells! lol

How could you tell? Are you familiar with actual spells? I thought they just made everything up as they went along (the show/dialogue writers, that is). I heard someone once say that Charmed was pretty close to real life with the information they had on the show. I think it was a show with Jeffrey Wands and he had a guest on who said that. I think the guest was Michelle Whitedove, but I could be wrong. It was years ago.

Forgot to mention, I also love Dr Who (old episodes) and all the Star Trek incarnations.

How could you tell? Are you familiar with actual spells? I thought they just made everything up as they went along (the show/dialogue writers, that is). I heard someone once say that Charmed was pretty close to real life with the information they had on the show. I think it was a show with Jeffrey Wands and he had a guest on who said that. I think the guest was Michelle Whitedove, but I could be wrong. It was years ago.

Forgot to mention, I also love Dr Who (old episodes) and all the Star Trek incarnations.
Well, Nekki, in my very early years, from the age of 19 to about 27, I was a practicing Wiccan. (Don't everyone freak out on me here. Things change, but I still honor those that believe.) Most Wiccans have a Book of Shadows, a book where they write their spells. In comparative religion, a spell is very similar to a prayer enacted. In most pagan beliefs, the power for moving/raising energy resides within the person. In Christianity, the power for making things happen is seen as within God. The difference between the two can be simply said as "who do you believe wields the power?" The spell ends with the words "So be it, or So let it be!" as a command. A prayer ends with Amen, which also means "So be it" but meaning by God's will. As I grew older and wiser, I expanded my knowledge and came to believe that there is something a little bigger than me out there and that started my exploration of religions, guided by my friend, the nun. So yeah, I have a working knowledge of the Wiccan/pagan belief system. (I think I once mentioned I've lived an "interesting" life. LOL!)

Reactions: surge
My favorite paranormal tv show was Fringe when it was on. I missed the entire last season, so need to go back to watch it. I hope they didn't screw up the ending of the series with anything stupid.

The final season of Fringe is worth watching, and the whole story is wrapped up nicely. You should definitely watch it.

How much old Who have you seen? I know a lot of PBS stations picked the series up with the regeneration into Tom Baker... I never saw a Pertwee, Hartnell or Troughton episode until many years after I discovered the Doctor.

Wow! I hereby dub you Sir Surge, ruler of the domain of Sci-Fi Tv! I am impressed with your knowledge! (And thanks for the walk down memory lane.)
Hey everyone...this is the "topic of the day" thread and not my personal domain, so for diversity in topics, please, please feel free to post the topic! Surge, how about you take Friday's topic, hmmmmm? After all, I did give you a title and claim to a kingdom...lol!

Compliment and rulership accepted, but don't confuse my useless trivia with knowledge! I also know all the bands Ronnie James Dio was in, but it never seems to come up in conversation. :D

I can start a topic thread in the morning. Something to do with server redundancy, perhaps? Too dry?

Don't worry, I do have something in mind that won't close the board. At least I hope it won't!

Reactions: Debi
Well, Nekki, in my very early years, from the age of 19 to about 27, I was a practicing Wiccan.
Interesting! I know someone who is from Colombia and is a Shaman. I thought she was a witch or a Santera when I met her, but she works with plants and plant spirits, and oils. A lot of her family also possess powers of premonition and can easily astral project. She astral projects also. I know all this may sound crazy to some people, but there is a lot of knowledge that most of us in the Western world do not know about because we consider it part of 'less civilized' cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.