Best by and use by dates: toss it or use it?

It always amazes me how different foods and drinks come about throughout history. I mean, you're talking spoiled food here on some of these - fermented, bacteria, etc. So what brave soul at some point decided, hey, this looks rotten, I think I'll try it! :eek: Thank goodness for the ones who discovered that we could actually eat or drink some of these interesting foods.
It had to be one of two things....desperation or the quest to find a new high.

Reactions: surge
Same with pineapple upside down cake - fruit!

And gotta get those veggies in, so go for that carrot cake! :p
ACK! Stop that! You know, I've recently lost some weight and have a bit more to go....and you are NOT helping me here!!! My quest is to be as thin as my dancer frame used to be by the time I die, ya know!

Reactions: surge and sal
It had to be one of two things....desperation or the quest to find a new high.
Yeah, I was thinking desperation too, just like all those nasty foods on Andrew Zimmern's show! :eek: You'd have to be pretty darn hungry in my book to eat a lot of the stuff those different cultures eat!

Reactions: surge and Debi
It always amazes me how different foods and drinks come about throughout history. I mean, you're talking spoiled food here on some of these - fermented, bacteria, etc. So what brave soul at some point decided, hey, this looks rotten, I think I'll try it! :eek: Thank goodness for the ones who discovered that we could actually eat or drink some of these interesting foods.

How about the guy who invented hakarl? "What should I do with this shark I've caught? I know! I'll bury it in the sand for three months, then dig it up and hang it inside for a few months longer... only then will I consume it!" :eek::eek::eek:

I don't care what Andrew Zimmern says, I'm not touching it!

Reactions: Seahunter and Debi
And where's Surge? We've devolved into a food thread.....again! The night before I grocery shop!!! AGAIN!
Sounds like you had plenty of suggestions without me! :p What I want to know is, did the Tennessee Pride make it into your basket?

Sounds like you had plenty of suggestions without me! :p What I want to know is, did the Tennessee Pride make it into your basket?
Yes....:oops: BUT, I don't eat it so I'm OK with it. :D Don't care for sausage, pork in general. OK, so meat in general. Made meatball subs for supper tonight. Mine consists of some sauce, cheese, and a bun.

How about the guy who invented hakarl? "What should I do with this shark I've caught? I know! I'll bury it in the sand for three months, then dig it up and hang it inside for a few months longer... only then will I consume it!" :eek::eek::eek:

I don't care what Andrew Zimmern says, I'm not touching it!

That buried ritual is just nasty. I saw another one where he was in Africa - can't remember where - and the "delicacy" was also buried for months! :eek: