A Serious Question......

For my son we actually have a medical plan on file with the school that his phone needs to be with him, within Bluetooth distance, at all times to counter policies like this. He is diabetic and has an insulin pump along with a CGM ( Continuous Glucose Monitor) that both communicate with his phone. When his blood sugar goes to high or too low his CGH sends the data to his phone which sends it to his pump, my wife's phone and my phone. We have had this same basic plan in place for years because the schools have had a similar policy for a while.
My just turned 18 grandson is also T1D and on the same system. In this case, the phone is truly part of a medical device system. When they come to visit, it's wild to hear mom, dad, and grandson's all go off with the alert at once! It's a remarkable system.

As for non-medical carry of a phone, I think it should be required to be ringer off and out of sight in class. Most kids now have laptops for schoolwork with email on them, so there are electronics in the school anyway. As long as they are not out during class time or in the pass to class time, I think a phone has become so much a part of our culture and times that using it at lunch or before and after school (or on a long bus ride home) is OK.

My grandkids were not allowed a cell phone at all for use (besides medical) until they were 14 and understood how to use it. They also had their parents checking their phones and were not allowed social media platforms on them.

I think a phone has become so much a part of our culture and times that using it at lunch or before and after school (or on a long bus ride home) is OK
As much as I don't like them, that is true.
They also had their parents checking their phones and were not allowed social media platforms on them.

Great idea.