A Co-Host? Suggestions?

segundus

Reaction score
I think the mind, late at night, tends to put aside some of its defences. Although we don't know Art, it feels as though we are welcoming back an old friend when we listen in the wee hours. His subject somehow seem more credible late at night. Also, I did not fully appreciate how talented he is until he left us and others were offered to take his place.

This 'old friend' phenomena may contribute to SOME of the push back that happened recently.

Quite frankly, it might be something to think about; to have him mentor a younger person, to perhaps take over the show when he decides to leave. Could that have been on his mind when he made such a decision?

But if that was his thinking, it must be a very unique being with exposure in diverse topics along with a certain congeniality and able to have quick insights into human personalities. Can any of his guests transfer their skills to such a program? One way of feeling this out might be to spot guests on CtoC who tend to remain on track, getting their message out and not allowing themselves to be sidestepped.

The person also should have a voice that is appropriate for a serious discussion. I had a voice class in college. The instructor said, unfortunately, most women speak at a higher range and testing has shown that such voices are not taken as seriously. Women can train their voices to go lower. Actors do it(except for some comediennes), but so should audio journalists and teachers. I had a very fine high school teacher whose voice was just horrid and it was torture to be in her class for 45 min daily.

I don't know how versatile his knowledge is, but Jonathan Hari comes to mind as a possibility. Not a well-known person, but seems to be dauntless when on the media - actually better on the radio than writing, I think. He is on the media supporting the legalization (and regulation) of drugs. I was impressed at the way he stayed on his topic and got full thoughts out in a cogent manner.

Might people here have any ideas on this topic?

Art's speaking style is very melodic. He could read a phone book on air and it would sound fantastic. Lots of women speak in lower voices just watch the news. As far as replacing Art or transferring his skills to another, not sure that can be done. Art is one of a kind in my opinion. I like John B Wells a lot, his voice is great and program is good, but he will never be like Art, however I don't think he wants to be either. Art is my friendly voice in the night that helps me relax while John B is less relaxing and puts me more "on alert" with his tense subject matter, which is fine, but I have to take it in small doses or I get depressed. Art is much more pleasurable to listen to.

I think the mind, late at night, tends to put aside some of its defences. Although we don't know Art, it feels as though we are welcoming back an old friend when we listen in the wee hours. His subject somehow seem more credible late at night. Also, I did not fully appreciate how talented he is until he left us and others were offered to take his place.

This 'old friend' phenomena may contribute to SOME of the push back that happened recently.

Quite frankly, it might be something to think about; to have him mentor a younger person, to perhaps take over the show when he decides to leave. Could that have been on his mind when he made such a decision?

But if that was his thinking, it must be a very unique being with exposure in diverse topics along with a certain congeniality and able to have quick insights into human personalities. Can any of his guests transfer their skills to such a program? One way of feeling this out might be to spot guests on CtoC who tend to remain on track, getting their message out and not allowing themselves to be sidestepped.

The person also should have a voice that is appropriate for a serious discussion. I had a voice class in college. The instructor said, unfortunately, most women speak at a higher range and testing has shown that such voices are not taken as seriously. Women can train their voices to go lower. Actors do it(except for some comediennes), but so should audio journalists and teachers. I had a very fine high school teacher whose voice was just horrid and it was torture to be in her class for 45 min daily.

I don't know how versatile his knowledge is, but Jonathan Hari comes to mind as a possibility. Not a well-known person, but seems to be dauntless when on the media - actually better on the radio than writing, I think. He is on the media supporting the legalization (and regulation) of drugs. I was impressed at the way he stayed on his topic and got full thoughts out in a cogent manner.

Might people here have any ideas on this topic?
Good points. It's like the person who is great in their subject matter, but can't teach to save their lives. We could come up with several people with great technical knowledge, but they may be lousy hosts. Art has the skill of being a well-rounded person on diverse topics, AND being a darn good host. That's the reason he is so special. Compare this to some paranormal hosts who have NEITHER a grasp of diverse topics, OR are darn good host . . . Well, that product is available on another station for you to compare if you so desire. :p:rolleyes:

Reactions: surge
Nobel prize nomination committee members would have an easier task..than Art or US coming up with a suitable individual to take over or cohost !!

Art, my friends, just reentered the building...I mean studio...I mean my radio...I mean my computer, there see what you have done ???

Please allow me to just enjoy Art...alone...please...please ???

No no no talk of a replacement.....

No no no talk of a cohost....

Last edited by a moderator: