8-21-2021 Saturday Live Chat Portal

‪Today marks the Battle of Taku Forts, 1860. A decisive victory for the Anglo-French army against the Chinese during the 2nd Opium War, led by the 44th Regiment of Foot (now the Royal Anglian Regiment) and the 67th Regiment of Foot (now the Prince of Wales Royal Regiment). First into the main fort was Lieutenant Rogers and Pte McDougall of the 44th, both of whom won Victoria Crosses.‬

During an assault on the Taku Forts earlier on in the war, US Navy Commodore Josiah Tattnall III came to the aid of the British naval squadron and in doing so, violated US neutrality. He explained his reason for doing so as, 'Blood is thicker than water'. It was the first time British and independent American troops fought side-by-side following the American Revolutionary War.

View attachment 34484
The 67th Regiment of Foot assault the Taku Forts
That was a jam-packed couple of paragraphs,Titch.! I love it when you talk history! Especially events I know zero about. I sure didn't know the anglo-french were fighting the chinese ...or there was an Opium war. Where did you develop such a knowledge base of history?

No take out? lol

Would not risk it.

The pizza delivery person might get abducted en route to us, literally, in the middle of nowhere :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

2021-08-22_01-25-40.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Paintman and Debi
That was a jam-packed couple of paragraphs,Titch.! I love it when you talk history! Especially events I know zero about. I sure didn't know the anglo-french were fighting the chinese ...or there was an Opium war. Where did you develop such a knowledge base of history?

This one, and the other battle I mentioned, is Regimental history.

It is one of the Battle Honours we had listed upon our Regimental Colours.