11-7-2019 Thursday Live Chat Thread

Doing well, thanks! Hey, did it all go well on Halloween night at the haunted house?
we raised over 4000 lbs of food. It was cold, but everyone had fun. The best part for me was that I saw people I've dealt with at work, that I've never seen smiling, whose lives are less than ideal, going through the haunt and having fun and smiling. That made feel pretty good.

we raised over 4000 lbs of food. It was cold, but everyone had fun. The best part for me was that I saw people I've dealt with at work, that I've never seen smiling, whose lives are less than ideal, going through the haunt and having fun and smiling. That made feel pretty good.
That is outstanding. What a true gift that is to those in need. I know, as I've been in those shoes before of needing some extra help.

Reactions: Bouvier
And I know what you mean about seeing some people smile who normally don't. I worked in nursing for years until a disabling work accident. Worked another 10 as a recreation/activity director just so I could put smiles on faces.

That is outstanding. What a true gift that is to those in need. I know, as I've been in those shoes before of needing some extra help.
I was in those shoes once too. it weighs on you heavy, and put me in a dark place.

I was in those shoes once too. it weighs on you heavy, and put me in a dark place.
It was difficult, as I was suddenly called on to raise a teen relative who had been in an abusive situation, and had to do it on a fixed income with no help. Amazing how the state does not have to provide anything if you are a relative. And the parents skated clean with no support. BUT, I'd do it again.

When I was young and divorced, I remember that dark place, Jay.

Reactions: jayiniowa
And I know what you mean about seeing some people smile who normally don't. I worked in nursing for years until a disabling work accident. Worked another 10 as a recreation/activity director just so I could put smiles on faces.
I became a cop because I wanted to help people. As a cop...yeah I help people, but for every positive there is usually a negative for someone else, so I don't get that good feeling of "i helped someone". So seeing those people smiling as I was trying to scare them made me feel way better than anything I've done as a cop.

Reactions: Debi
I became a cop because I wanted to help people. As a cop...yeah I help people, but for every positive there is usually a negative for someone else, so I don't get that good feeling of "i helped someone". So seeing those people smiling as I was trying to scare them made me feel way better than anything I've done as a cop.
I know it has to be difficult being in law enforcement today. But I have to tell you I admire anyone who takes on the job and does it well. Kudos to you for doing it.

It was difficult, as I was suddenly called on to raise a teen relative who had been in an abusive situation, and had to do it on a fixed income with no help. Amazing how the state does not have to provide anything if you are a relative. And the parents skated clean with no support. BUT, I'd do it again.

When I was young and divorced, I remember that dark place, Jay.
I was going through a divorce, with 4 kids (3 with my first wife) and my bills, without taking into account
I know it has to be difficult being in law enforcement today. But I have to tell you I admire anyone who takes on the job and does it well. Kudos to you for doing it.
Thanks. I can't wait to get out of it...still have at least 5 years. I'm kinda the black sheep at work, because I do want to really help and not just get a stat. Enough about that though.

Reactions: Debi