Yearly visitation returns

All of the ideas thus far pretty much covered most if not all the bases. The only factor that i did not see is you and your family. If you've experienced things throughout life, your energy could also contribute towards this. It could be a reach, but it's all theory until a definitive answer is stamped into stone. After the playback happened perhaps around that time just thinking about it could 'squeeze the initial trigger'. We all exude energy outward in some way. I doubt it's the catalyst but i'm sure somehow our energy effects unseen forces.

One theory I have is that there is truth in the saying "when the stars align...." meaning when the physical elements are aligned in the same way in a certain time of year, so that there is "repeat."

Doesn't that imply an understanding or acknowledgement of time from the "other side?" I've heard many of the "experts" on such things say time has no meaning or is no constraint to those who've passed.
it would also imply a thought process or intelligent thought on the time frame which would then be an intelligent haunting and not a residual type.

Which is my point. Is there an outside influence that might trigger it? Or even just our own memories and thoughts, or those of his parents? Moon tides? A physical influence of some sort? Time appears to be specific to this dimension, so I'm looking at what other things might trigger the playback of a residual.
could be an outside influence due to the seasonal change, temp change etc... smells, sightline, etc.. can be greater in the cooler/colder months as well as our attention to details. maybe temp changes in the rock, water or other surroundings can have an effect on the intensity of the visual clarity of the hauntings, they may always be "playing" but in certain temps or conditions they are more noticeable.....

What do you think is the trigger for residual hauntings? Is it the moon, the weather, gravitational fields varying with the seasons? Thoughts?
Probably a combination of these plus maybe the poor guy wasn't meant to pass then, he regrets this and is trying to change what happened and his energy comes through. Also your collective thoughts of him bring him back into some sort of existence ?