Who do you follow?

It's weird, I have a YouTube account as it's part of my Gmail account that I setup when I got a smartphone. However I almost never use that email address nor do I login to YouTube. So even though I watch stuff on YouTube all the time I'm not subscribed to any channel. Every now and then I'll open YouTube and the recommended feed looks really odd, then I realize I'm logged in. It's only when I'm logged out that I get stuff I want to actually see.

The stuff I do watch:

Spooky stories- There are a few channels that have someone narrating stories of either supernatural or true crime, some of these guys even have visuals and sound effects to go with the narration.

Myth and folklore explained- These videos can be 5-10 minutes long upto 45 minutes to an hour. They take myths or legends and then explain the history and lore behind them. Everything from Bigfoot to Cthulu There are even some channels dedicated to exploring the mythos behind movie monsters.

Movie, TV show and video game retrospective reviews- These tend to be long format videos where someone, or a few someone's, will pick a specific film, show or game and spend up to an hour or going over how it was made, the history behind the development, the cultural impact it had and what made it stand out either good or bad.

Science and Nature- I love watching videos like "How fission reactors work" or "we found fossilized remains of an ancient giant turtle". I'm also fascinated by the video that explore ancient civilizations be it vikings, knights, ancient Rome, feudal Japan or the building of the pyramids.

Cooking channels- Lots of cooking channels! I love to cook so it's fun to watch 4 or 5 different chefs make the same dish and see how I can combine and/or incorporate their recipes into mine.

Finance- Of all the stuff I watch on YouTube these are the channels I'm guaranteed to watch alone. Every other video my wife or kids will sit and watch with me. But videos about the stock market, invetments, Federal Reserve policy or the like; everyone comes over to see what has me so fascinated only to roll their eyes and walk away. I do work in Finance so some stuff is important for me to know. Also, it's like with the cooking channels and I'm looking for people who understand personal budgeting and retirement planning better than me and whose ideas I can incorporate.
youtube is in the sloooow process of changing its platform/algorithms to where you will have to be logged in to view, right now its at the stage that if you havent already, you probably soon will occasionally see a blank screen telling you to log in to see recommendations and preview videos. drives me nuts when that happens, i rarely log in when on desktop and when its a blank screen until you type a subject it is just irritating....lol.... but, that being said, just be aware that soon, logging in may be mandatory.

Reactions: Stevedog
youtube is in the sloooow process of changing its platform/algorithms to where you will have to be logged in to view, right now its at the stage that if you havent already, you probably soon will occasionally see a blank screen telling you to log in to see recommendations and preview videos. drives me nuts when that happens, i rarely log in when on desktop and when its a blank screen until you type a subject it is just irritating....lol.... but, that being said, just be aware that soon, logging in may be mandatory.
In case you have not noticed yet, FOX news online is now asking for your email and to create a free account before letting you read the articles. Everybody wants to sell/use your info now. So far I have refused.

Reactions: Duke and Paulm
In case you have not noticed yet, FOX news online is now asking for your email and to create a free account before letting you read the articles. Everybody wants to sell/use your info now. So far I have refused.
I find the lies on CNN more entertaining than the ones on FOX and they don't ask you to log in.

• Haha
Reactions: Stevedog and Paulm
yep, ive noticed, and i dont go to any that i have to sign into either..

Reactions: Duke
I find the lies on CNN more entertaining than the ones on FOX and they don't ask you to log in.
To screen stories for the site here, I scan all of the news sites once daily. All of the majors. Mostly looking for science or weird news, but the headlines are all pretty much the same anyway and I avoid the politics like the plague.

Reactions: crux and Paulm
I've noticed that a few times, but refreshing the page seems to "fix" it. What's really weird is that it only ever happens on one computer and not the other. I have my work/gaming PC that I use most often, then I have the entertainment PC out in the livingroom hooked up to the TV and sound system for watching TV, movies or playing games that are better with a game pad on the couch than a mouse and keyboard. The entertainment computer will give me the blank screen but not my main computer. I can also open the exact same video on both at the same time and the entertainment computer will ask me to login to verify my age but the video plays just fine on my other computer despite not being logged in.

It's odd but I've never tried to do anything about it. I figured it's just sloppy work at Google and I'm not sure how much longer that company is going to be in this position. I think Facebook/Meta is going the way of MySpace and Google maybe following shortly afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if in 5-10 years YouTube might belong to a different company, rebranded or be replaced by some other video platform.

Reactions: Paulm and Debi
Anything paranormal, some science channels and history. And yes, animals :D

Just a thank you to all the ideas out there. Hubs is enjoying many of the recommendations. Should keep him busy for a bit! lol

Reactions: Lynne
Please don’t laugh….i follow Chanel’s that cover the drama that’s the British royal family. The crazy lying duo of Harry and Megan. The rest are behavioralists and paranormal stuff.

Reactions: RoseRed
I follow lots of stuff that coincides with various interests of mine and would probably be of little interest to most others. But, as for paranormal topics, I like Bedtime Stories mostly because I like the presentations and graphics and the incidents chosen. It's very nicely done, I think.

Reactions: Lynne and RoseRed