What Would Your Suitcase Hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
Thank goodness this employee did not just discard these treasures! I find this story incredibly interesting, sad, and eerie as well - but what a great time capsule! Being that I am somewhat of a pack-rat, and have way too much stuff, it just boggles my mind to imagine all my worldly possessions, or at least the most important ones, distilled down to one suitcase. So, what would be in your suitcase? You don't have to answer publicly if you don't want to, but it's at least interesting to contemplate.

http://news.distractify.com/pinar/willard-suitcases/

This link has some really good photos of contents of some of the suitcases. Just hit the photo for each one, and you'll see the contents:

http://willardsuitcases.photoshelter.com/gallery-list

In 1995, the New York State Office of Mental Health closed the Willard Psychiatric Center in Willard, NY. It would eventually become a state-run drug rehabilitation center for prisoners. A Willard employee, Bev Courtwright, was given the task of going through all of the psych center buildings to determine what should be salvaged. She unlocked an attic door behind which was a collection of over 400 suitcases containing the possessions of former patients. The cases had been put into storage when their owners were admitted to Willard sometime between 1910 and 1960. And since the facility was set up to help people with chronic mental illness, most of these folks never left, and many were buried in the cemetery across the road.

Craig Williams acquired the cases for the New York State Museum and they were placed in the permanent collection. I first saw them in 2003 at an exhibit in the Museum where a small number of the suitcases were displayed. It was very moving to read the stories of these people, and to see objects from their lives before they became residents of Willard, and I was determined to photograph more of these cases so others could experience what I felt.

In 2011, the Museum gave me the incredible opportunity to begin this project. These objects open a small window into the lives of some of the people who lived at the facility, and I am determined to share them with as many people as possible. You can see the genesis of my approach to this documentation on my wordpress site, here and here. If you would like to watch the Kickstarter video, click here.

- Jon Crispin

As a minimalist, living amongst pack-rats, I could fairly easily distill my needs down to one suitcase. I've actually done it before when we travelled in our RV. Heck, I could probably live off the contents of my rather large purse for a week as it is! I think there might be room in there for a change of clothes....lol! Now, if I can fit in 3 items off my alter I'd be all set! ;)

The sad thing is, these people were stripped of everything involuntarily. And the old approach to treating mental illness was archaic and cruel at best. Unfortunately, treatment hasn't improved that much even now! It's one thing to voluntarily pack a bag and live as a minimalist. It's entirely another when you're forced to live with the bag someone else packs for you. :(

Reactions: Seahunter
At age 5 I ran away from home , I was dressed in my Paddington bear dufflecoat and of course my wellington's , In my suitcase was one thing.....my teddy bear !

At age 5 I ran away from home , I was dressed in my Paddington bear dufflecoat and of course my wellington's , In my suitcase was one thing.....my teddy bear !
AWWWW! How sweet! You knew what was important!

I am not attached to any of my physical belongings, not even the sentimental ones. The sentimental ones will always be in my memory and my heart. They are imprinted in my energy.

If I had to leave my home, the only thing that I would take is my fur babies. That and possibly my degrees. NYU does not replace diplomas if you lose them and it would be a bitch to lose a $33,000 piece of paper.

Reactions: Seahunter
Aw! You must have been a sweet 5 year old.

Aw! You must have been a sweet 5 year old.
Nope......I was a foul mouthed S.O.B who smoked cannabis and drank waaaay to much whisky all while listening to American music ....

Status
Not open for further replies.