What was your...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
What was your favorite concert or musical performance? And what was your FIRST concert? Who was it and where?

th

Easy one for me...

Favorite: 9-9-86 in Salt Lake City. Concert - Luciano Pavarotti. I had bought 4 front row seats for this concert. Two tickets were going to my parents for an anniversary present two days later. Two for me. Funny, I couldn't think of anyone I wanted to take to this concert. So, at the last minute I invited my youngest sister (10 years younger than me). She was thrilled, because she could dress up to the nines lol... Anyway, Pavarotti was in fantastic voice. Unbelievable singing. After the regular concert and some encores, I called out "Nessum Dorma". This was BEFORE the song had become a Pavarotti specialty. Pavarotti looked straight at me, opened his arm to me and nodded. Then he sang Nessum Dorma. My sister and parents couldn't believe that Pavarotti had gestured just to me and then sang the song. Needless to say, it was pandemonium in the event center. I will never forget that night!!! It was also the most I had ever spent for concert tickets up to that time. Worth every penny !!!

2nd Favorite: 2-8-90 in Taipei, Taiwan. Concert - Luciano Pavarotti. This time it was just me and my wife. Another night I will never forget, and something I was so glad I could share with my wife. This concert hall only held 2,000, so I was very fortunate to get tickets. It was broadcast live outside in the square, and there were 50,000 + there to enjoy the singing.

Reactions: T-Bob
favorite was seeing the Eagles simply better than any cd i have heard of them
first one was rascal Flatts and has seen many other county acts

Reactions: Debi
The Moody Blues...over and over and over again...lol I have all the t-shirts. :D

Reactions: Lynne
First was AC/DC (flick of the switch tour) a band calFastway warmed up for them.

My favorite was Probably Iron Maiden I saw them 7 times the last time i saw them the tour was 7th son of the 7th son.

First was Beatlemania at a local 3500 seater. I was in Jr. High, '81, and went w/ my friend, a fellow Beatlemaniac. (Debi, The Star in Merrillville.) Best was '93 Rolling Stones at Soldier Field. The Voodoo Lounge Tour. I loved everything about it. The Voodoo Lounge album was the last truly great Stones record IMHO, the band lives in Chicago for American Tours so the local papers were filled with gossip column stories all summer "Keith sat in with Ramsey Lewis at the Double Door Last Night." "Mick had lunch with a Bear."............. And I was going to grad school in the city. So I bought tickets for the gang. I was cheered by my pals because they were frontish row. The 10 yard Line.
Turns out, the Stones switched goal lines w/ the stage set. :( But, it worked out because we could see the whole stage (most elaborate of it's day) and in the North End Zone, we got this overwhelming jaw dropping skyline view that just added to the stage. The band was tight, Keith was spooky cool. Mick was young :confused: and the set list was not just 2 hours of hits. Lots of 'special guests' who folks here may not know, but are Chicago blues and jazz legends. Living Color opened up. I like them. Who says heavy rock can't be funky !:cool:
It was the end of the tour, and the Stones were always heavy with pyrotechnics: and they blew off all of the leftovers that night.:cool: So on this cool fall night, my merry band of childhood pals had dinner at an Irish pub in the Hilton (you know this from 'The Fugitive' movie), walked across Michigan Ave., and LSD, (Lake Shore Drive, hippy) to Soldier Field, and for some strange reason, we had Bears gear on.:confused: Habit.
Later that year my Dad and I went to a Bears playoff game. Just sitting at breakfast when Dad said, "Wanna Go?" So we did, and bought scalped tickets for $30.It was the infamous 'Fog Bowl.' Nobody could see a thing including the players. So dad & I walked across LSD and Michigan Ave. to that Irish pub in the Hilton. And watched fog on TV.
I had a corned beef on rye w/ a Guinness. :)

favorite was seeing the Eagles simply better than any cd i have heard of them
first one was rascal Flatts and has seen many other county acts
My fav group. Never got to see them.

I can't remember my first. Concerts were affordable and popular in the 70s and 80s. We went to a lot! My favs were Foriner, Moody Blues,Jorney, Bob Sieger, Garth Brooks, Reba Mackentire... There were so many good ones. Hard to pic the best.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
Saw Aerosmith pre rehab, smallish theater. That was a smack down.
Heaviest thing I ever saw was Keith Richards and the Expensive Winos at the Aarogon Ballroom in Chicago. :cool: Speechless. Stand next to the railroad tracks & put your nose up against the fast train. It looked like that. Sounded like bass heavy thunder.
It had everything. The Neville Bros. was the band, the operatic church choir black chicks singing back up, sweet horn section, Bobby Keys on sax, and I think I was here..........
Yup, I'm the handsome crowd goer !:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne