Strange experience this morning. Not sure what to make of it.

Emily

Reaction score
Hi, im new to all this but I had a very strange thing happen this morning and I’ve been thinking about it all day trying to make some sense out of it but I can’t so hopefully someone else will be able to. Here goes, at about 6:30 am my cat and I both were woken up to what sounded like bubble wrap being popped. I have a non working fire place next to my bed and the sounds were coming from there. My poor cat bolted outta the bedroom and I felt like I couldn’t breathe. I tried to figure out what was making the noises but couldn’t. I took a hit of my inhaler and tried to go back to sleep. I was on my side and heard one more pop but it was super close to my face instead of by the hearth. I decided to go ahead and get up after that. When I got out of the shower my cat was by the fire place. It looked like he was also trying to figure out what was making the sounds but was just as perplexed as me. Whatever it was both my cat and I were aware of it, so it can’t be a sleep paralysis type event or just in my head. I’d be open to any insight about this because I’m not sure what to make of it. Thanks!

Welcome Emily. That is a strange and scary event. Thanks for sharing. Can you give us any background info.? Have you had strange occurances before?, do you dabble with the Quija board ?, have you brought anything new into the house that could have an attachment ?

Take a look around here. We have a lot of information. Many of us have had strange occurances too.

If the cat heard it too you can rule out hypnagogic hallucinations :) (hallucinations experienced before going to sleep)

All jokes aside this is quite interesting. How far have you gotten into figuring out the origin of the noise?

Theres a chance it has to do with the vents. If your vents make a noise, there’s a good chance that a pop or a click will come from seemingly any place, confusing both you and your cat, but my wife and I learned vents can do that every now and then.

I’ve had thinks like this happen, but it’s with voices. Sometimes only i hear them (the reason I know what hypnagogic hallucinations are) sometimes my wife hears them too. But popping? Maybe there’s another explanation for it.

Always question every experience. That’s the only way to get answers when it comes to the paranormal. Hope this helped a little.

Reactions: Lynne
If the cat heard it too you can rule out hypnagogic hallucinations :) (hallucinations experienced before going to sleep)

All jokes aside this is quite interesting. How far have you gotten into figuring out the origin of the noise?

Theres a chance it has to do with the vents. If your vents make a noise, there’s a good chance that a pop or a click will come from seemingly any place, confusing both you and your cat, but my wife and I learned vents can do that every now and then.

I’ve had thinks like this happen, but it’s with voices. Sometimes only i hear them (the reason I know what hypnagogic hallucinations are) sometimes my wife hears them too. But popping? Maybe there’s another explanation for it.

Always question every experience. That’s the only way to get answers when it comes to the paranormal. Hope this helped a little.
Good thinking Charleh. I didn't think of the vents! You still up?

Hi Emily. Welcome to the ParaNormal Forum. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope we can help solve the mystery.

Hi, im new to all this but I had a very strange thing happen this morning and I’ve been thinking about it all day trying to make some sense out of it but I can’t so hopefully someone else will be able to. Here goes, at about 6:30 am my cat and I both were woken up to what sounded like bubble wrap being popped. I have a non working fire place next to my bed and the sounds were coming from there. My poor cat bolted outta the bedroom and I felt like I couldn’t breathe. I tried to figure out what was making the noises but couldn’t. I took a hit of my inhaler and tried to go back to sleep. I was on my side and heard one more pop but it was super close to my face instead of by the hearth. I decided to go ahead and get up after that. When I got out of the shower my cat was by the fire place. It looked like he was also trying to figure out what was making the sounds but was just as perplexed as me. Whatever it was both my cat and I were aware of it, so it can’t be a sleep paralysis type event or just in my head. I’d be open to any insight about this because I’m not sure what to make of it. Thanks!
Hi Emily and welcome to the forum family!

Fireplaces....tricky little things they be. One thing to check, is anything up in the chimney portion? Working or not working, many times animals decide it's the perfect place for building a little home for themselves. I've had everything from birds to raccoons set up shop in them. You have to rule out the physical possibilities before you can look at the paranormal. One time had squirrels throwing nuts down the chimney.

Popping noises have been associated with apports....that's when items are transported from one dimension to another. Popping noises have also been noted when an entity wants to get attention....much like "knocking" noises can be heard.

Hi Emily, glad to have you here. The part that makes me go hmmmm? Is the pop was heard in the fireplace but the 2nd was near you. Before looking at the paranormal , which it may well be, let me guess at this. An acoustical trick. The chimney is a big echo chamber. A sound source can be the bricks themselves. Bricks are like big hard sponges - porous. Water is created inside bricks when warm air meets cooler air. If there is a big tempature shift ( I know, no fire) the air and moisture will always go towards the warmest side - may have tried escaping rapidly, found a weak void or fissures - and makes a popping sound.
I paint lots of brick, and have heard this once.
:)

Welcome to the forum, Emily! :)

Paint has a good point - the sound was heard both at or near the fireplace, and also near you, so whatever "it" is was capable of moving. It will be interesting to see if it happens again, then maybe you can figure out what it is.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi

Hi Emily,
welcome to our Forum. Come on aboard! curious story..thanks 4 sharing

Reactions: 7Critter