Strange experience this morning. Not sure what to make of it.

Hi Emily and welcome to the forum family!

Fireplaces....tricky little things they be. One thing to check, is anything up in the chimney portion? Working or not working, many times animals decide it's the perfect place for building a little home for themselves. I've had everything from birds to raccoons set up shop in them. You have to rule out the physical possibilities before you can look at the paranormal. One time had squirrels throwing nuts down the chimney.

Popping noises have been associated with apports....that's when items are transported from one dimension to another. Popping noises have also been noted when an entity wants to get attention....much like "knocking" noises can be heard.
and sometimes at the beginning of an OBE -i have heard

Reactions: Debi
Welcome Emily, and thanks for sharing. The other members have made some very valid points and I think investigating these first would be a good start to determining the noise. If it paranormal, popping sounds could be a tricky thing to determine, but as Debi suggested it could be apporting as well. But from what I have read up, normally apporting events result in one or two pops (Debi, please correct me if I am wrong here), but if it sounded as though bubble wrap was popping (I'm assuming popping in rapid succession) it could be paranormal. I know one morning I had an experience with a strange whistling sound that my pets heard as well (see A Haunting at Vibe's written under Loud Whistling and Strange Dream). Keep us posted on what you find in your investigations please :)

(Debi, please correct me if I am wrong here),
You guys are doing great! I'm so proud of the collective knowledge base of our members! Outstanding insights from all of you.

I'm leaning towards the suggestion of Paintman. I've actually had that happen with my own chimney before. That would be my first thing to look at.

Reactions: Lynne