Pass the salt.....

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Do you season your prepared and ready to eat food? Do you taste it first? What seasonings (or other additives used to season) do you use?

Last edited:
certain foods, usually breakfast foods like eggs, ill salt and pepper a little, grits i butter and sugar, (this is the south, sugar is widely used on , well, pretty much everything...and grits is a staple breakfast food...lol)... beans i put butter in...... some cereal will occasionally get a touch of sugar..... ( i buy healthy cereal and then make it un-healthy....lol, but at least i feel like i tried....)

I almost always taste my food first to know what seasoning it needs, if any. The only exceptions are if I'm getting the exact same food as I know needed seasoning in the past; so like a can of Dinty Moore stew, a pre-made microwave bowl of Mac n Cheese or the fries from a burger chain. These are foods designed to taste the exact same every time so I know what they taste like the moment I see them.

For seasoning I like the basics of salt and pepper. I'm also a big fan of hot sauce, we have hot sauce shelf in our pantry with about a dozen different kinds of hot sauce. A few are the "brand name" bottles like Frank's Red Hot, Texas Pete, Tabasco Sauce and Tapatio, but most are just odd bottles we find and want to try because they look fun. For example we have these:

1706809958940.png

1706809980963.png

Frank's Red Hot, Texas Pete, Tabasco Sauce and Tapatio, but most are just odd bottles we find and want to try because they look fun.
Those would cause me to melt down! My guys love all the hot sauce products. I am sure to stay far away from them. Hot is not a flavor...it is a pain that releases endorphins. I buy Frank's by the huge bottle for the guys.

I rarely touch a salt shaker, will occasionally use some pepper. Sugar in the coffee!

I like salt too much :/ Pepper, garlic :D
other seasonings depending on what I am cooking :)
The one thing I cannot run out of without there being a declaration of emergency is Garlic Salt. The guys put that on everything! I have known my son to make an emergency trip 12 miles into town to pick up one bottle of it. My Peoria son is the same way...hot sauce and garlic salt on everything! We have reached the agreement that I make stuff my way and they can add it to their plate of food.

I've never been one to use salt or pepper, can't remember the last time I used either. I do use a fair amount of hot sauce, usually Frank's or Texas Pete. I've become a fan of adding diced jalapeño peppers to spice up soups, casseroles, pasta, etc.

861_DicedHotJalepenoPeppers_FRONT2_900x.jpg

I don't use salt, pepper or butter much. The main thing would be on mashed or baked potatoes. Salt and butter for sure on corn-on-the cob. Butter on popcorn is a must. Other than that, i'll use spices in lasagna or whatever as i cook. Sugar is hardly used, only a few pinches in skettie sauce for sweetness. I never put sugar in my coffee or tea.

I'm also a big fan of hot sauce, we have hot sauce shelf in our pantry with about a dozen different kinds of hot sauce. A few are the "brand name" bottles like Frank's Red Hot, Texas Pete, Tabasco Sauce and Tapatio, but most are just odd bottles we find and want to try because they look fun. For example we have these:

View attachment 55066

View attachment 55067
You need to visit "Jungle Jim's International Market" in Cincinnati. They have a hot sauce department that defies description, including a selection of "adults only" sauces due to the prurient interest nature of their labels.
20180702-160811-largejpg.jpg