Ok, it's over, lets go.....

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to a football game where a very spirited older couple sat in front of us. In disgust, they decided to leave early in the fourth quarter after their team, all ready down by 11, fumbled the ball away. Their team then proceeded to score two late TDs to win.

Have you ever left any event/performance (sports, concerts, movie, etc) early, only to regret it later?

Coming from a state with the Lions as our team I would say no. We stay to the end because the fates change on a dime. They don't call them the heart attack cats for nothing lol. The high school games I attended I always rooted to the end regardless. I can see this happening to some though.

My husband always wants to "beat the traffic" and used to leave everything before the end! Made me crazy. There was still traffic no matter when we left something and I rarely got to see the end of anything. Now he just does it by changing the channel on me.

One thing that comes to mind was some kind of historical event with slides, speakers and food promised for later. We sat there for half an hour, watching people trying to organize things and failing. Someone was putting up pictures on a wall and some of them were upside down. The food was tiny containers of macaroni and cheese, and a large television set at the front of the room showed some very blurry slides and there was a muffled sounding recording of a commentator discussing the slides. We had not had supper, expecting that there would be plenty of food at the event. We left.

No way I'm leaving early unless it's Wrigley Field. It's situated in a very residential area and the streets aren't wide enough for that volume of traffic. I can get downtown in about 55 minutes but once there you got to add another hour to that drive.

My Dad always liked to leave early to beat the traffic. Drove me nuts. Plus Comiskey Park is a different story. The White Sox do a firework show after a winner. And it's right off the expressway.

Lol... I haven't attended a game of any kind since high school BUT... I NEVER leave a game of any kind that I am invested in...

August 30, 1983... I was pregnant with my youngest... WAY overdue... my husband told me TRUE... you can have this baby anytime, anywhere... EXCEPT for the Penn St. - Nebraska game. He/We was/were huge Nebraska fans. We are a huge football family... Half time... my water broke. There was a conversation :rolleyes: but, in cut-offs and no shirt and a few beers down (him) and with a huge fat lady in tow (me) ... off we went. Nebraska routed Penn St. and my son was born. That was a topic and is still a topic (long after this One has Sailed) ... to this day.

Fast forward to Oct. 27, 1985... World Series... Royals and Cardinals... (also huge Royal fans)... Late in the game... my husband slammed out the door in disgust headed for work. But, I never leave a game. In the last moments of that game... I had him on the phone (lost job or not) screaming the moments as the ROYALS won the game. :eek:

So, yeah, we would be the ones still sitting long after everyone else was gone. lololol

Back in the 90s, Mrs Duke and I went to a 60s/70s oldies concert that featured several different groups from the period. The closing act was Eric Burdon. His encore was "Spill the Wine."

Figuring he was done, we headed to the car. Just as I opened the car door, I could hear him doing "Sky Pilot," a song he recorded with the Animals back in the late 60s. I always liked that song, but missed seeing him perform it.

I very rarely go to sporting events. I did go to the Thanksgiving day Dallas cowboys games twice with my daughter and her in laws. But the cowboys always lost and my son-in-law was always angry at his mother and brother for getting so drunk they could barely walk to the car. My daughter and I started dropping them off and going to a movie instead after the second year. But I did leave an event early this weekend, our high school reunion. There was a raffle, they gave away 3 big screen TVs. I was the first name they called but I had left early. I never get picked in a raffle, and my friend Dennis called me and told me "You should have stayed, they called your name for the TV but you can't collect it if you are not there." :D I am not sure I really regret that though, as I have no use for a big screen TV. I hope the person who did get it was happy.

Back in the 70s I took a date to a double feature. The first movie was The Wild Bunch which we both enjoyed. Then there was a second feature that I knew nothing about. Some sort of film with karate or something and an Asian actor I had never heard of.

I assumed it would be terrible and I told my date we could leave if she wasn't interested. But, she suggested we watch a few minutes of it and then decide and I agreed.

So, the movie starts and it's Enter The Dragon with Bruce Lee! We were blown away by the first 15 minutes and we stayed. Although it has its corny moments, it turned out to be one of my favorite movies of my youth.

crux that reminds me of a time a coworker and I went to see some Woody Allen movie with Ben Stiller playing the part of the sad sack Woody Allen. I was sitting there 10 minutes in thinking "I could not care less about any of these people" when my friend touched my arm and asked "Are you ready to get out of here?" I said "yes" and we left. :D Neither of us would have chosen that movie if we had realized it was Woody Allen.

I'm glad it worked out for you withe the Bruce Lee movie.