Man went missing in Alaska

People over estimate there actual abilities and take risks or just aren't prepared and die in the outdoors. They've found bodies of....experienced hikers....just yards away from a trail. They go off the trail for 1 reason or the other get turned around. Then they stay put and wait for search and rescue and never make it.
Never go into the woods without expecting to spend atleast 3days out there. Pack and dress accordingly and know your limits! Watching Alone or these survival shows...these are pros to an extent and it's tv so technically it's a controlled environment.
i think very few people actually wonder into the true wilderness, this guy was more than likely taken by a grizzly, he was an alaskin native and should have been better prepared and knowledgeable, but even then, a grizzly is a grizzly...... most people never trek much further than the local state park campground and layed out hiking trails. heck, even the Appalachian trail is crowded and not what it once was, for the most part. 99% of camping equipment sold is rubbish and not up to par for a true wilderness outing..( an example being, most tents are now equiped with a "power port" for electrical connections.....lol).... how many people actually own a true four season canvas tent anymore. or even know how to use a lensatic compass or even how to read a map???..how to set up a true basecamp??? etc.... most people that get lost and perish is from the elements or accidents... not being prepared in dress or just from panicking.

Reactions: Lynne and K9-1
i think very few people actually wonder into the true wilderness, this guy was more than likely taken by a grizzly, he was an alaskin native and should have been better prepared and knowledgeable, but even then, a grizzly is a grizzly...... most people never trek much further than the local state park campground and layed out hiking trails. heck, even the Appalachian trail is crowded and not what it once was, for the most part. 99% of camping equipment sold is rubbish and not up to par for a true wilderness outing..( an example being, most tents are now equiped with a "power port" for electrical connections.....lol).... how many people actually own a true four season canvas tent anymore. or even know how to use a lensatic compass or even how to read a map???..how to set up a true basecamp??? etc.... most people that get lost and perish is from the elements or accidents... not being prepared in dress or just from panicking.
I'd have the panicking part down pat.

My buddy and his family set up their elk camp every year and wow! They have several huge canvas tents with stoves for heat and cooking. They go all out! I'm not a cold weather camper. I've done it,but wasn't happy about it! When I do go camping now I do go off trail and I hammock camp in the summers. Usually I have Dakota with me. She will alert to dangers and has never failed to get me back to my jeep. If you tell her to go to the jeep she'll take you right to it! Best outdoors partner I could ask for!

I did take her car camping/glamping and she really liked it....lol! She has now become accustomed to a certain camping life style. I don't know she'll ever wanna go back country camping again..lol

Reactions: Lynne
I'd have the panicking part down pat.
nah, you would calm down and say " now what did that dude, Paul, say about a compass and RANGER beads......"......... then youd hear a car drive by and realize the highway is just 100 feet away............:D

Reactions: Lynne and Duke
My buddy and his family set up their elk camp every year and wow! They have several huge canvas tents with stoves for heat and cooking. They go all out! I'm not a cold weather camper. I've done it,but wasn't happy about it! When I do go camping now I do go off trail and I hammock camp in the summers. Usually I have Dakota with me. She will alert to dangers and has never failed to get me back to my jeep. If you tell her to go to the jeep she'll take you right to it! Best outdoors partner I could ask for!

I did take her car camping/glamping and she really liked it....lol! She has now become accustomed to a certain camping life style. I don't know she'll ever wanna go back country camping again..lol
gotta love a good canvas hot tent, the downside is the weight, not what youd exactly hike in anywhere...fourwheelers maybe.... one thing i love about georgia is camping all year, we usually go every thanksgiving or christmas for winter'ish camping. march and april are perfect months too. i like the early spring across southern missouri also.... what you described as glamping is most peoples ideas of camping, drive in and set up. ive been on some forestry roads in north georgia you could barely navigate, way back, and that still dont feel like real camping cause the car is right there....lol....... spent a lot of time in the south georgia swamps boating in deep and setting up on an island. thats always fun..........

gotta love a good canvas hot tent, the downside is the weight, not what youd exactly hike in anywhere...fourwheelers maybe.... one thing i love about georgia is camping all year, we usually go every thanksgiving or christmas for winter'ish camping. march and april are perfect months too. i like the early spring across southern missouri also.... what you described as glamping is most peoples ideas of camping, drive in and set up. ive been on some forestry roads in north georgia you could barely navigate, way back, and that still dont feel like real camping cause the car is right there....lol....... spent a lot of time in the south georgia swamps boating in deep and setting up on an island. thats always fun..........
They have the 4wheelers and will put the treads on for snow. Then they have UTV's,snowmobiles and horses. He has alot of cool toys. His youngest daughter got a huge elk this year!

Yes! The whole glamping thing blew me away! For the money some of these people spend on the glamping garbage they should just buy an rv.

Yes! The whole glamping thing blew me away! For the money some of these people spend on the glamping garbage they should just buy an rv.
yeah, but it has its place, its a good introduction to the outdoors, gets people out in nature, etc.... just not deep forest real camping, but its a start....
lol, i just sold a trailer last year.... hated the over crowded campgrounds, rv's are as far from camping as it gets....lol..... good thing is though that you can pick them up dirt cheap, easy to repair, and do have their place if you plan to travel the country. would never buy a new one, they actually suck in quality, cheaply made and depreciate instantly.. and are so easy to gut and rebuild that you can buy used and build exactly what you want for a fraction of buying new....but yeah you are right and it seems as though that is the direction for most, campgrounds now are more rv oriented than actual camping, even if glamping in tents.

You guys have such great ideas, if I was younger I might go in for remodeling an RV. That is the only way I would go camping. I have no directional skills and would be lost and dead very quickly. I would need one of you as my camping guide lol. I will stay in camp and make somores and roast the hot dogs.

Reactions: crux
I have a Native American friend living in Alaska, for 20 + years. I asked her about this and got a ton of weird stories :O