Breakfast....Then and Now

Yes, I try to eat breakfast . While on keto currently, I usually have only a banana and sometimes a granola bar for breakfast. Not on keto, at the house, I’m a big fan of turkey bacon or real bacon with scrambled eggs and cheese and sometimes on rare occasions, French toast. I’m a huge fan of sausage, egg and cheese muffins or burritos which I make an outstanding version in the field. But the ideal, best breakfast for me, is a good genuine, southern breakfast! Bacon, hashbrowns, toast, scrambled eggs, and sometimes pancakes or waffles, but always… With ice cold skim milk!

Last edited:
I have a meal when I rise for the day, but it is usually more like lunch or brunch. In earlier years, cereal was always my choice; my fave was granola, or other commercial brands. Then I started to appreciate the steady energy of a mostly protein breakfast, such as sausage or bacon and eggs, with coffee.

As a youngster I never ate anything for breakfast, much to the chagrin of my Mom. Later in life my breakfast was diet Pepsi, but usually only after I'd been up and about for a couple hours. (Have never drank coffee.) Since I retired, I usually have a protein bar or shake about 10am.....follow by a diet Pepsi.

On rare occasions I eat breakfast at a local place that has a nice breakfast buffet.....eggs, bacon/sausage, small serving of cheesy potatoes, and when available, small cup of yogurt or fruit. I pass on the biscuits and gravy, pancakes/waffles, etc. I have to watch my figure.

I do eat breakfast but during the week when time is short getting ready for work it's usually something like oatmeal or yogurt. Sometimes a bowl of cereal, but I don't really like sweet cereal. My favorite is just the plain puffed brown rice or puffed kamut cereal.

Now on the weekends I like to do what my family call "big breakfast" with eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, toast, waffles, ham steak, biscuits (sometimes with gravy), ect. I'm also a big fan of huevos rancheros but my wife doesn't like chorizo. Then about 2 years ago my daughter got a job at Waffle House and didn't even want to look at breakfast food. So I had to come up with something else and with the help of my kids taste testing I found a pretty good, hearty breakfast casserole the whole family enjoys. The basic recipe is:

In a Dutch oven (something that can go from stove top to oven) fry some bacon. Take the bacon out and crumble for later. In the bacon grease add butter, diced onion, minced garlic, diced peppers (I use a combination of jalapeño and poblano) and cook them until softened and starting to caramelize. Then add breakfast sausage and cook til browned. Stir in shredded potato, or just a bag of frozen hash browns, and mix it all together. I then add salsa and a lot of eggs, mix to combine then the whole thing goes into a 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Finally I cover the top with cheese and the crumbled bacon from earlier then give it another 5-10 minutes back in the oven.

On a cold Saturday morning when I need to go out and do yard work or shovel snow this is a great, hearty breakfast that helps get me through. My wife on the other hand eats a bowl of this casserole and isn't hungry again until dinner time. My two teenagers ask for seconds, sometimes thirds then ask when I'm making more.

I usually just have a cup of plain, black coffee, however if I feel like it, I have a toast, bacon, and egg samwich which I can whip up real fast on a griddle.
If I'm taking a med that requires food with it, I tend to choose a piece of toast. However, that sandwich sounds like a great supper! :)