Birth Order

A lot has been said about birth order and how it affects us.
I'm an oldest child and do think that influenced the way I was raised.
(By the time my parents got to the 4th child born when I was 14 they pretty much let him do whatever he wanted just because they were tired! lol)

Where do you fall in the order, and do you think it made a difference in who you have become?
And if you have kids, did your parenting style change as each child was born?

View attachment 50353
Im the older child but i only have a brother that i know of. My father slep around a lot and even joked i have twin sisters :/ I was in foster care alone tho so i grew up like an oly child. i hated being away from my brother. I have three kids now 21, 17 and 16. I tried to be as different to my kids than my parents were but i do let them roll me over LOL

I'm firstborn. Gasp! lol I don't think any birth order would have affected my eccentric-weirdness. Although when my new brother came home, the 3 ½ year old me, went up to my dad and said I needed to have a conversation. I vaguely remember that. My dad said we went into another room and I wanted to know what was all that stuff between his legs and how long was it gunna stay? .

Last edited:
I'm Benjamin. It literally means 'first born son', so my parents did their research on that one.
My mum could only take time out of work for my early years and when my first brother was a baby, so I was often in charge of him and even at weekends I had to take him to the park with me and make sure he came back in one piece. I had to be responsible, think of others and be an entertainer. That sounds a lot like me to this day, so yes, it made all the difference!
I was never asked to look after my younger brother because 10 minutes after I was told to be careful of the soft spot on the top of his head, they found me in the corner of the backyard trying to poke that very spot.
You know as I recount my life stories, I sound like an extremely violent person. I prefer to think I am assertive and don't suffer fools. ;ss:p:p

Im the older child but i only have a brother that i know of. My father slep around a lot and even joked i have twin sisters :/ I was in foster care alone tho so i grew up like an oly child. i hated being away from my brother. I have three kids now 21, 17 and 16. I tried to be as different to my kids than my parents were but i do let them roll me over LOL
red flag. LOL

I'm the oldest with four sisters. I like to say that it's not fair that all four of my sisters have a brother but I don't have one, then see how long it takes someone to figure that out.

Being the oldest meant I was the responsible one, whenever anything went wrong I was held responsible.

I was also expected to take care of my sisters, I taught them to read, write, tie their shoes, ect. One clear memory is during summer school break my parents were at work and I was taking care of my sisters at home. My oldest sister, about 3 years younger than me, hit that point in puberty where she experienced her first monthly cycle. Our Mom had never taken the time to explain this to her so she was understandably scared and upset. And the only person who was available to talk to her and explain things was me. I cannot imagine a more awkward conversation. On the plus side, it's nearly impossible to offend me or gross me out or otherwise make me uncomfortable when my female coworkers start over sharing with each other about these issues.

Oldest Children and single children are the most common.

Reactions: Lynne