Ancestry

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

A friend of mine wanted to gift me with an Ancestry DNA test.
I have declined.
First, I really rather not have my DNA out there in the hands of "others", but second, I know enough about who I am and where I came from without it.

This prompted today's question:
Would you or have you taken one of these tests?
How important do you think knowing this information is?

I wanted to but decided not to after being advised that your DNA would be owned by the government and they can do whatever they like with it.

I have not. I will not unless Absolutely necessary ;)
I have done my own genealogy research regarding my Family history. I was fortunate that there was correct documentation and at the time Elders who I was able to speak with as well. My info came from many sources. Again I was fortunate that all of the pieces of the puzzle fit ;)
No DNA tests for me :p

i wouldnt do the DNA tests, but as ive gotten older i have realized it is interesting to know your ancestry or family history.
thanks to my great grandparents and family history i have been able to trace back to the dawes rolls and show blood quantum requirements. i dont know how "important" it actually is, but it is interesting and fun to search out. archive centers are interesting places and lots to be learned not only about oneself but the entire area and surroundings you live in.

I'm a mutt and happy with that. Though if it could prove I have the DNA and was truly the last of the Mohicans I'm in! I'd declare myself as an endangered species and then have a ball...lol!

I'm a mutt and happy with that. Though if it could prove I have the DNA and was truly the last of the Mohicans I'm in! I'd declare myself as an endangered species and then have a ball...lol!
Absolutely agree :p :D

Reactions: K9-1
Not really interested in getting my DNA history, not sure how much it could tell me either. There's a big part of my ethnic heritage that were nomadic tribes who didn't keep written records. I have stories passed down from family but only going back a few generations, prior to that I know nothing and haven't the slightest clue if there's any way of actually finding anything.