A Priest, a Rabbi, and a Buddhist.....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Religious leaders get high on magic mushrooms ingredient – for science
Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore enlists priests, rabbis and a Buddhist to test the effects of psychedelic drugs on religious experience

Religious leaders get high on magic mushrooms ingredient – for science

OK, SO THIS IS IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE. IT'S AN ACTUAL STUDY. THE QUESTIONS TODAY ARE:

1. SINCE IT IS AN ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC STUDY OF THE RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE, WOULD YOU BE OK WITH YOUR RELIGIOUS LEADER DOING THIS?

2. IF ASKED TO DO SO FOR SCIENCE, WOULD YOU TRY THIS? WHY OR WHY NOT?

I honestly don't know what to think of this. It's not for me but I'd read the results.

Reactions: Debi
No. Faith is ultimately a matter of trust.
Science. Hmmm. When I was in Shrink Skool, a psychiatrist was offering up all kinds of recreational drugs, including LSD, in the name of science.His reasoning was so cross eyed. He wanted to see our reactions to fun drugs. But (I saw a pathetic old man with a script privilege who wanted to kiss my girlfriend.) I told him that, too. Just short of getting kicked out of school. I ran away for other reasons.

Reactions: Debi
Science. Hmmm. When I was in Shrink Skool, a psychiatrist was offering up all kinds of recreational drugs, including LSD, in the name of science.His reasoning was so cross eyed. He wanted to see our reactions to fun drugs. But (I saw a pathetic old man with a script privilege who wanted to kiss my girlfriend.) I told him that, too. Just short of getting kicked out of school. I ran away for other reasons.

From the woman who was a hippie and did mind expanding drugs: Yes, you can and do get some truly mind altering insights while using an hallucinogenic. BUT, I found years later, the SAME insights can be achieved without them by meditation and deep prayer. (Without the side effects and flashbacks.)

Reactions: Lynne
I can so see this type of guy.

Reactions: Debi and Paintman
I wouldn't want my religious leaders to take drugs. I hold them to a higher standard than that.

Same with me trying them. I am fairly close-minded here because I've seen the effects of drugs on people close up, and they are just too dangerous to get wrapped up in. We already have enough people walking around like zombies, I don't want to be out working and driving with a bunch of people who are toasted. Drugs fulfill a need, but those needs can be met with much healthier and safer alternatives.

I wouldn't want my religious leaders to take drugs. I hold them to a higher standard than that.

Same with me trying them. I am fairly close-minded here because I've seen the effects of drugs on people close up, and they are just too dangerous to get wrapped up in. We already have enough people walking around like zombies, I don't want to be out working and driving with a bunch of people who are toasted. Drugs fulfill a need, but those needs can be met with much healthier and safer alternatives.
Clapping! Well said and I totally agree

I think that tripping on drugs isn't too good of an idea. I'd expect a religious leader to show a little more dignity, unless of course they've been trained on properly using these drugs safely, and in a place of worship where entheogenics is almost a staple to their practice.

But here's another issue.

Notice how a lot of people get high on prescription drugs like Ritalin, adderal, prozac, etc? They do so by OVERDOSING.

You can get great results by taking small amounts of mind altering drugs that make subtle improvements to your performance, just like prescription drugs taken in their moderate doses.

Maybe we weren't meant to get high on MDMA, LSD, cannibis or Mescaline.
With moderation they can improve our mental well being, and overdosing is why our brains go nuts and sometimes we get addicted.

I was on a body hacker forum and someone mentioned they microdose on LSD (25-50mcg) and they find it lets them solve complex problems faster and with less strain on the mind. And of course he wasn't tripping balls in the process:confused:

(Not advocating drugs, you use this stuff at your own risk. Take what I say with a grain of salt)

Reactions: Paintman
I think that tripping on drugs isn't too good of an idea. I'd expect a religious leader to show a little more dignity, unless of course they've been trained on properly using these drugs safely, and in a place of worship where entheogenics is almost a staple to their practice.

But here's another issue.

Notice how a lot of people get high on prescription drugs like Ritalin, adderal, prozac, etc? They do so by OVERDOSING.

You can get great results by taking small amounts of mind altering drugs that make subtle improvements to your performance, just like prescription drugs taken in their moderate doses.

Maybe we weren't meant to get high on MDMA, LSD, cannibis or Mescaline.
With moderation they can improve our mental well being, and overdosing is why our brains go nuts and sometimes we get addicted.

I was on a body hacker forum and someone mentioned they microdose on LSD (25-50mcg) and they find it lets them solve complex problems faster and with less strain on the mind. And of course he wasn't tripping balls in the process:confused:

(Not advocating drugs, you use this stuff at your own risk. Take what I say with a grain of salt)
This is a new thought. You may be on to something

Reactions: Paintman