2-1-2016 PNF Daily Chat and Show THread

Hi Ros! I bet you jumped a bit with the shadow wife! lol
oh yeah, normally my dad gives me a heads up by me hearing one of the 3 of his favorite songs…plus it was storming pretty good

Reactions: Debi
I am waiting to hear from Debi on that. On a side note, your Aunt's book should be here soon. It took them a while to ship it. I have decided to learn whatever dialect of Cherokee I can find a program for, and teach it to my grand kids. That way we can talk without anyone else knowing what we are saying, and it will keep the language out there. I would love to study as many of the native languages as I can. Seems like too many of them are slipping away, and that is too bad because oral tradition should be passed in its' original form to help avoid loss of history.
Harry Oosahwee has taught the Cherokee Language for six years and is a fluent Cherokee speaker. He felt a need to create a basic foundation for beginning speakers to learn the Cherokee Language. From that need came this book, written with the beginning Cherokee Language learner in mind and for the Cherokee Language teachers to use as a tool for teaching Cherokee. This book is based on a teaching technique that uses a series of flash cards with pictures that depict simple nouns and verbs. Once the student is familiar with identifying the flash cards in Cherokee, additional cards are introduced and the student is able to form simple sentences. Although this book is intended for beginning Cherokee speakers, the students should know their basic colors and numbers, one to ten, in Cherokee. The instructor might see some variance in the spelling and pronunciations of some words due to dialect difference within a community. Therefore, the instructor is encouraged to use their dialect when using this book. The author hopes that those who use this book for teaching the Cherokee Language will find it useful and leave room for their own creative pedagogical practices.

Reactions: 7Critter
my dads best friend is named Harry Oosahwee, I'm friends with his daughter Donita, she to type in his name in amazon.com. he wrote a book to help keep the language going, like most natives his age, they grew up speaking their language, but didn't learn english until they went to school
Harry Oosahwee has taught the Cherokee Language for six years and is a fluent Cherokee speaker. He felt a need to create a basic foundation for beginning speakers to learn the Cherokee Language. From that need came this book, written with the beginning Cherokee Language learner in mind and for the Cherokee Language teachers to use as a tool for teaching Cherokee. This book is based on a teaching technique that uses a series of flash cards with pictures that depict simple nouns and verbs. Once the student is familiar with identifying the flash cards in Cherokee, additional cards are introduced and the student is able to form simple sentences. Although this book is intended for beginning Cherokee speakers, the students should know their basic colors and numbers, one to ten, in Cherokee. The instructor might see some variance in the spelling and pronunciations of some words due to dialect difference within a community. Therefore, the instructor is encouraged to use their dialect when using this book. The author hopes that those who use this book for teaching the Cherokee Language will find it useful and leave room for their own creative pedagogical practices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7Critter
my dads best friend is named Harry Oosahwee, I'm friends with his daughter Donita, she to type in his name in amazon.com. he wrote a book to help keep the language going, like most natives his age, they grew up speaking their language, but didn't learn english until they went to school
You have some very interesting stories, Ros. We;re gonna have to talk some more....lol

Reactions: Roswell Rayguns
Ros, are you using Chrome? Cuz that's why your copy paste is not working right if you are. I'm going back to edit so they show up.
i think so, for school stuff thats what they recommend.

i think so, for school stuff thats what they recommend.
About three weeks ago, something happened with Chrome. We are guessing it's a conflict with W10. Not sure, but any other browser is not having that problem. I now recomment Firefox for use here....if you are able to use it.

Reactions: Roswell Rayguns
About three weeks ago, something happened with Chrome. We are guessing it's a conflict with W10. Not sure, but any other browser is not having that problem. I now recomment Firefox for use here....if you are able to use it.
ok, i have a mac, usually use safari.

Reactions: Debi