Your Vacation Paranormal Experiences

I would like to preface this account by mentioning I have confirmed Shawnee and Cherokee in my ancestry as well as unconfirmed Hopi. I have some respect for Native American culture and know that they had wisdom ... sometimes more than the European settlers. None-the-less, I state the following account.

For my work in plant taxonomy, I have camped in a great many locations across the United States. Some of these locations were on Indian Reservations. In one, we had met the son of a chief who led an informative hike. Later, this same young man (in his teens) went by a small pond ( I assume to cool off in the water). However, as he jumped in, he let out a war cry unlike any I have heard before or since. It put every Hollywood whoop-whoop to shame. This was the real thing ... this made me think of a word I had not really felt comfortable using with Native Americans before ... savage.

When the natives do a war dance before battle, they are calling on spirits to strengthen them. I had not considered just what this would mean or sound like to the enemy ... in this case the Europeans. While both the Europeans and U.S. government have mistreated the natives, I now know that word had it's application. You do not want to be on the wrong end of that type of warfare.

I would like to preface this account by mentioning I have confirmed Shawnee and Cherokee in my ancestry as well as unconfirmed Hopi. I have some respect for Native American culture and know that they had wisdom ... sometimes more than the European settlers. None-the-less, I state the following account.

For my work in plant taxonomy, I have camped in a great many locations across the United States. Some of these locations were on Indian Reservations. In one, we had met the son of a chief who led an informative hike. Later, this same young man (in his teens) went by a small pond ( I assume to cool off in the water). However, as he jumped in, he let out a war cry unlike any I have heard before or since. It put every Hollywood whoop-whoop to shame. This was the real thing ... this made me think of a word I had not really felt comfortable using with Native Americans before ... savage.

When the natives do a war dance before battle, they are calling on spirits to strengthen them. I had not considered just what this would mean or sound like to the enemy ... in this case the Europeans. While both the Europeans and U.S. government have mistreated the natives, I now know that word had it's application. You do not want to be on the wrong end of that type of warfare.
I read the entire "Little House on the Prairie" series as a child, and I remember a description where the area where the writer's family were living, happened to be in the middle of a war between two Native tribes. And the writer remembered how that war cry terrified her and made her cower.

About ten years ago, I was on a road trip with friends, and we stopped for the night in Bisbee, AZ. We stayed in an old building that used to be apartments, but they had been renovated into suites. My friends had a room at the end of the hall, and my room was in the middle of the building.

Around midnight, I was awoken by the sound of the smoke detector chirping. The ceiling was too high for me to reach it, and there was no way I could have slept with the chirping.
Luckily the owners lived on site, so I called them, and they brought in a tall ladder, and replaced the battery. They said, "That's funny, we just replaced all these batteries a month ago."

So I tried to go back to sleep, but the neighbors in the next room were making so much noise, it was impossible to sleep. Noisy pipes as water was turned on and off, shower running, footsteps walking around, etc. I did not get a moment's sleep for the rest of the night, and was obviously cranky and annoyed.

When we went to check out in the morning, the owners apologized about the smoke detector again, and said they hoped I had a restful night after that. I mentioned how noisy the next door neighbors were, and that I hadn't slept well at all.
That's when they told me that the room next to me was unoccupied. They said "That's funny, the ghost doesn't usually come past room 6." Well, I had been in room 5.

My friends had had an uneventful, restful night. I guess when you check in they should ask if you want a haunted or non haunted room.

Last edited:
Well, if you insist! :) One time was when my then boyfriend was coming over. I was in the shower and distinctly heard him come up the front stairs (I lived in a very small house) open the door and come in. I had left the front door unlocked because he said he was coming right over. I even heard the bells jingle ( I had a string of bells on the front door handle.) I called to him that I would be out shortly. When I came out, there was nobody there. Five minutes he did show up, and replicated all of those sounds.

My vacation story. My mother, sister and two brothers and myself were staying at a hotel at the Jersey Shore. They had gone off and I came back to get something from our room. Our unit was way at the end, and there weren't any other people about. I unlocked the door, went and got whatever it was, and then for some reason came out and forgot to close and lock the door. I turned back and started for the door. And there, on the inner side of the open door, was a huge praying mantis. These insects have always made me uneasy, and I am not sure why. I froze. It turned it's head and looked right at me. I am aware that they can't harm people, but this thing terrified me. I couldn't move. I don't know how long we stayed there, staring at each other. But suddenly it was gone. To this day, I don't even like looking at pics of a praying mantis. I get this shaky feeling and feel slightly ill at the mere sight of one.
There are people who claim to have seen aliens that look like praying mantis. Do you think you may have had an experience?

Reactions: garnetsilver
About ten years ago, I was on a road trip with friends, and we stopped for the night in Bisbee, AZ. We stayed in an old building that used to be apartments, but they had renovated into suites. My friends had a room at the end of the hall, and my room was in the middle of the building.

Around midnight, I was awoken by the sound of the smoke detector chirping. The ceiling was too high for me to reach it, and there was no way I could have slept with the chirping.
Luckily the owners lived on site, so I called them, and they brought in a tall ladder, and replaced the battery. They said, "That's funny, we just replaced all these batteries a month ago."

So I tried to go back to sleep, but the neighbors in the next room were making so much noise, it was impossible to sleep. Noisy pipes as water was turned on and off, shower running, footsteps walking around, etc. I did not get a moment's sleep for the rest of the night, and was obviously cranky and annoyed.

When we went to check out in the morning, the owners apologized about the smoke detector again, and said they hoped I had a restful night after that. I mentioned how noisy the next door neighbors were, and that I hadn't slept well at all.
That's when they told me that the room next to me was unoccupied. They said "That's funny, the ghost doesn't usually come past room 6." Well, I had been in room 5.
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

This is a very good thread. Loved reading everyone’s experiences. I can’t think of one to share. I haven’t taken many vacations where I’ve traveled far.

Reactions: Selectric
About ten years ago, I was on a road trip with friends, and we stopped for the night in Bisbee, AZ. We stayed in an old building that used to be apartments, but they had renovated into suites. My friends had a room at the end of the hall, and my room was in the middle of the building.

Something stirred 'them' up. Makes you wonder why they mess with water lol. Playing out everyday stuff? Interesting experience to say the least. Thanks for sharing Walk :)

Reactions: Walkinanteek
water was turned on and off
Not a vacation story, but i'll chuck it in lol. My friends house was supposedly haunted. He's told me of a few things when he lived there. My experience was very late one night we were partying, i went upstairs to use the bathroom. I sat down, grabbed a Reader's Digest book from behind me and proceeded to do my business. Then i hear water coming out of the sink on other side of room. I look up and the faucet is pouring water into sink, then shuts off lol. I sat perplexed for well not quite sure lol, thinking WTH did i just see? I do not remember seeing anything move, as if 'someone' turned on and off. I went down stairs with the same perplexed look and asked my buddy if he had any plumbing problems lol.

Reactions: Walkinanteek
There are people who claim to have seen aliens that look like praying mantis. Do you think you may have had an experience?
I wondered about that, Lynne. When I was a child I saw praying mantises but they didn't frighten me as badly as this one did, and I was a young adult at the time of that experience I shared.

Reactions: Selectric