Your Thanksgiving Stories!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Past or present, what are some of your most memorable Thanksgiving stories?
What's going on in the kitchen or at your table?

One of my favorites is the year I asked a kid to carry the deviled eggs into the house...admonishing him 3 times "Do NOT drop those!"
Aaaand not 1 minute later he tripped and the deviled eggs became scrambled all over the yard. He has yet to live that down.

Or the year my mom decided she'd had enough of a certain person and pushed a piece of pie into his face, laughing as she did it.

Kitchen disasters?
How about the year the whole family got food poisoning from the turkey?
Share your tales of the good and the bad!

Not sure if I've shared this before but I have very large family on my mothers side. I'm the oldest of five kids, my Mom was one of seven kids and her mother was one of 13. At Holidays, such as Thanksgiving, when the family gathers together between Aunts, Uncle's, Cousins, Second Cousins, ect we can have 50-60 people show up and the concensus is "Too bad not everyone could make it this year." Now because feeding this family is like feeding an army all family branches shared in the cooking duties and would bring the food potluck style and rotate whose house is hosting.

So one year when the meal was at my Aunts house where she was cooking a turkey. My grandmother also cooked a turkey and brought it along, another aunt cooked and brought a ham. So when the food came out there was plenty of meat, or so we thought. Since it was my Aunts house and she made a turkey that was the first to be carved. But the bird didn't look right, it didn't look brown and crispy like it should. Everyone noticed it but decided that taste was more important than looks. We all said grace and named the things we were thankful for, then my Uncle got to work carving the turkey. Cutting into my Aunts turkey we discovered the problem, it was raw. In all the hustle and bustle of getting the house ready for 50+ guests my Aunt had stuffed and seasoned the turkey, put it in the oven and set her timer; but never actually turned the oven on. "No problem" she said, "I'll put it in now and we can eat the other turkey and ham. Then this one will be ready for when everyone wants second helpings." Of course it wasn't that simple because this was like a 28 pound turkey that needed hours to cook. I'm pretty sure most people had already left by the time it was done.

Another year, right after my Mom got remarried we informed my step-dad about the family tradition of the Turkey Trot. Having such a large family there were many family members that shared names. So each year two people with the same name would get up and dance around the table flapping their elbows like wings while making gobble-gobble noises and every else sang the Turkey song; which was really the chicken dance song. Now my step-dad happened to be named Stephen, and I'm Steven, so he should do the Turkey Trot with me. Normally it would have been my Uncle Mike and my Cousin Mike but they agreed to let us do it instead because it was my step-dads first year with this family tradition. My step-dad was highly skeptical but everyone kept insisting that this was a real tradition we've been doing for years. Though he should have been there two years earlier when Tim, Tim, Tim and Tim had a 4 way Turkey Trot. He wasn't buying it until everyone started singing the Turkey song and I jumped up and started flapping my "wings". At which point he got up and the two of us Turkey Trotted around the table, twice for good measure. When we finished everyone had a good laugh and then we told him that there was no Turkey Trot tradition. My Aunt said it as a joke and the whole rest of the family, without having to be told or asked ahead of time, just went with it because we all have that same kinda sense of humor.

Steve those were great stories. We have a very small family and up until my generation's children were old enough to marry or bring along a boyfriend, we only had about 8 people. We are up to 14 I think now. I am sure we have had our arguments and kitchen disasters, but I can't think of any at the moment. About 8 years ago my dad had a heart attack on Thanksgiving. He thought it was indigestion and was just generally feeling bad after dinner. We all went home about 7 or 8 pm only to get a call a short time later that he was in the hospital. Nobody wants to ruin the holiday and it is so easy to excuse the pains for something else. Thank God after a brilliant surgeon fixed his widow maker blockage he has lived on.

Thanksgiving has alot of very warm, happy memories for me. I won't delve in too deep on it. The first that comes to light was back in middle school. It was Friday, cold and overcast and I remember just that feeling of being so at peace and happy because I got to sleep late for the next 9 days! Lol Then, in the early 2000's, I would goto Arkansas immediately after Thanksgiving dinner. Also at the same time, these were the last years my Father was there. I think about him more during these times than his birthday or even Christmas.....

Thanksgiving has alot of very warm, happy memories for me. I won't delve in too deep on it. The first that comes to light was back in middle school. It was Friday, cold and overcast and I remember just that feeling of being so at peace and happy because I got to sleep late for the next 9 days! Lol Then, in the early 2000's, I would goto Arkansas immediately after Thanksgiving dinner. Also at the same time, these were the last years my Father was there. I think about him more during these times than his birthday or even Christmas.....
The holidays are the hardest when missing someone. Sending love to you Lon.

I miss my parents around this time of the year, too!

The only Thanksgiving disaster I can remember is the time I was spending the holiday with my married brother in NJ. After we had eaten and were turning in for the night, my brother got the brilliant idea that it would be okay to leave the food neatly covered, and out on the kitchen counter all night. Later, he told me that since they turned the thermostat down at night, he figured the food would keep.

My nieces and nephews spent the following day being sick. Fortunately I hadn't eaten any leftovers when I rose for the day!

• Wow
Reactions: Paintman and Debi
The only Thanksgiving disaster I can remember is the time I was spending the holiday with my married brother in NJ. After we had eaten and were turning in for the night, my brother got the brilliant idea that it would be okay to leave the food neatly covered, and out on the kitchen counter all night. Later, he told me that since they turned the thermostat down at night, he figured the food would keep.

My nieces and nephews spent the following day being sick. Fortunately I hadn't eaten any leftovers when I rose for the day!
Wow I am surprised his wife didn't know better.

brilliant idea that it would be okay to leave the food neatly covered, and out on the kitchen counter
If you have ever had food poisoning ( twice for me ) you get paranoid about leaving food un-refridgerated. Mrs Critter does most of the Thanksgiving cooking; I do the cleanup. That includes cutting enough meat to serve dinner and cleaning the carcass within the first hour, packaging and placing in the refrigerator. As soon as everyone has had round one and I am done eating, I start cleanup. The meat should have cooled enough by then to handle.