Open Lines You can't do that at graduation!!

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/u...-mississippi-high-school-graduation.html?_r=0

The commencement ceremony last month for Senatobia High School, its graduating seniors dressed smartly in blue gowns, scarcely seemed like an event that would provoke multiple allegations of criminal conduct.

But at least three people are facing charges and the prospect of $500 fines and six-month jail terms after they were accused of cheering during the graduation ceremony, held at Northwest Mississippi Community College on May 21.

“We were instructed to remove anyone that cheered during the ceremony, which was done,” Zabe Davis, the chief of the campus police and a Senatobia High alumnus, said Wednesday. “And then Jay Foster, the superintendent, came and pressed charges against those people.”

The misdemeanor charges of disturbing the peace have pushed the residents of Senatobia, population about 8,000, into a discussion about order, gentility and appropriate punishment, all focused on the annual rites of finishing high school. Indeed, the Senatobia authorities are not the first in the United States to pursue charges in the wake of an outburst at a graduation ceremony, but such prosecutions are rare (there were news accounts, for example, of one in South Carolina in 2012).

In an affidavit filed in Tate County Justice Court last month, one woman, Ursula Miller, was charged for “yelling and clapping while inside the building after announcement had been made for all to hold their applause and celebrating until after the end of the ceremony.”

Her “loud, boisterous noise,” the affidavit said, was “against the peace and dignity of the State of Mississippi.”

This is where we are? Really? When my kids graduated everyone in attendance was instructed to remain quiet and told that no flash photography was allowed. Most people were compliant, although there was the occasional burst of clapping and maybe an attaboy. No one was removed, and as far as I know no one was charged with anything criminal afterward. This screams grandstanding to me... some superintendent who has an eye on something bigger, I expect.

Reactions: Speedbird and Debi
Oh for heaven's sake. My youngest son had to work really, really hard to graduate, and I couldn't help but clap as he crossed that stage. For a special needs kid, it was a HUGE thing and there was no holding back my pride...or my joy. I guess I would have been in jail had this been in force during his graduation! And you know what? Would have been worth it!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat! (although orange is not a good color for me! :fearscream:)

I hope these get thrown out. How utterly insane. Jay Foster, the superintendent, should be charged with making frivolous charges and fined himself for ruining what should be the happiest day in the lives of these kids.

Reactions: surge
I hope these get thrown out. How utterly insane. Jay Foster, the superintendent, should be charged with making frivolous charges and fined himself for ruining what should be the happiest day in the lives of these kids.
I think that's what gets lost in all the rule-making that goes on before graduation. This is an even that should celebrate the kids who are graduating. It's a huge even in our lives, as we leave childhood and move into adulthood. If the ceremony takes an extra couple of minutes per student because people in the audience want to applaud, then so be it!

Reactions: Seahunter