Would you want to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Continuing with DM's genetics theme, it was announced this week that we are on the threshold of a new test that would tell us if we are going to die in the next 5 years. Using genetic markers and chemical markers, this test will be available soon to predict our expiration date.

First, would you want to know? Second, if the test is given as mandated bloodwork (think Obamacare mandates here), would/could/should medical interventions be denied as wasted resources? Will new medical "pathways" be designed to expedite death so as not to cost others? And third, would you change anything about the way you live for those 5 years?

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...if-will-die-in-next-5-years/?intcmp=obnetwork

I would not want to know. Ignorance is bliss. I feel that that type of knowledge would cast such a pall over what remains of my time that I could not enjoy it. To an extent, we all know how long we are going to live. Do we drink, smoke, eat McDonalds more than once a week, etc. Unless you are a person who regularly (3-5 or more) times a week, someone who eats mostly organic and as close to nature as possible, avoids stress, etc. you can count on being in the unhealthy pile. Maybe death will not come in 5 years, but 10 or 15. My grandparents on my father's side lived into their 90's because of clean living and exercise. Of course, they were also of the generation that got up early and went to bed early.

Reactions: Debi
I absolutely would NOT want to know my own mortality lol. I prefer to live day by day so focusing on the future only would be a bummer for me.

As for the required testing situation, I feel as though it would be completely inhumane to let someone know that they will uncontrollably die in less than a decade. If someone is going to pass on in that manner, it would be better to let them live out the rest in peace.

I would not want to know. Ignorance is bliss. I feel that that type of knowledge would cast such a pall over what remains of my time that I could not enjoy it. To an extent, we all know how long we are going to live. Do we drink, smoke, eat McDonalds more than once a week, etc. Unless you are a person who regularly (3-5 or more) times a week, someone who eats mostly organic and as close to nature as possible, avoids stress, etc. you can count on being in the unhealthy pile. Maybe death will not come in 5 years, but 10 or 15. My grandparents on my father's side lived into their 90's because of clean living and exercise. Of course, they were also of the generation that got up early and went to bed early.

My grandmother, dipped snuff, smoke cigarettes, and here diet was full of pork fat, lard, and lived to be 99. Her father had the same lifestyle and lived to be 100.

My mother is 86, and finally stopped smoking last year, but still eats far too much fat.

I am not saying smoking and fat will not shorten many lives, but there is more involved here. Some of us can abuse our bodies and outlive those who took great care of theirs. Seems rather unfair.

But to topic, it doesn't really matter to me if I knew or not. I lived for awhile thinking I would be dead in a year from the cancer that still hasn't killed me. So death is of no bother to me psychologically or emotionally. Once the mind accepts something like personal death, one lives in a great freedom. No longer driven by any fear, and being free from fear, which is a form of suffering.

Shakespeare had insight when he wrote, "Cowards die many times before their deaths." Although I would say "non enlightened" in place of cowards.

My grandmother, dipped snuff, smoke cigarettes, and here diet was full of pork fat, lard, and lived to be 99. Her father had the same lifestyle and lived to be 100.

My mother is 86, and finally stopped smoking last year, but still eats far too much fat.

I am not saying smoking and fat will not shorten many lives, but there is more involved here. Some of us can abuse our bodies and outlive those who took great care of theirs. Seems rather unfair.

But to topic, it doesn't really matter to me if I knew or not. I lived for awhile thinking I would be dead in a year from the cancer that still hasn't killed me. So death is of no bother to me psychologically or emotionally. Once the mind accepts something like personal death, one lives in a great freedom. No longer driven by any fear, and being free from fear, which is a form of suffering.

Shakespeare had insight when he wrote, "Cowards die many times before their deaths." Although I would say "non enlightened" in place of cowards.
I've heard several people who live with cancer tell me the same thing. Had an aunt tell me, "Getting cancer was the greatest gift of my life." She said it freed her to live her life without excuses or fear.

I don't want to know. Can you imagine the stress you'd be under if you made it to 4 years and 6 months? You'd know you had 6 months left maximum, and I think the stress would be such that you couldn't enjoy the time you had left. I prefer to be oblivious.

Medical intervention shouldn't, but probably would be denied. Reasoning being that this person only has a year left anyway, so the expense of patching them up now can't be justified.

I don't know how much I would change in the they way I live if I did know. I already have a good grasp on my mortality, but as I said, when it got down to brass tacks and the expiration date was on top of me, I'm sure the certainty of it all would add some stress to my life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.