World's Most Expensive Watch Sold at Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
The Henry Graves Supercomplication by Patek Philippe sells for 23,237,000 Swiss Francs - 24,081,414.92 US Dollars - at auction.

It remains the most complicated watch (920 parts) built without the assistance of computers. It has 24 complications, and took eight years to design and build.

In horology, the study of clocks and watches, a complication refers to any feature in a timepiece beyond the simple display of hours and minutes. A timepiece indicating only hours and minutes is otherwise known as a simple movement. Common complications in commercial watches are day/date displays, alarms, chronographs, and automatic winding mechanisms. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complication_(horology)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...-Graves-Supercomplication-Patek-Philippe.html

Reactions: surge and Debi
People still use watches? It's like buying a old set of surgery (pre 1800's) tools. A conversation piece only. We have computer phones? Who needs a watch?

People still use watches? It's like buying a old set of surgery (pre 1800's) tools. A conversation piece only. We have computer phones? Who needs a watch?
With me it's just an appreciation for the mechanical timepiece. I rarely carry a cell phone - hate them - so I do actually use a watch. I prefer mechanical over quartz, again for the complexity of the movement. I also use fountain pens when there are modern ballpoints, gel pens, etc. because I like the way they write and feel. I guess it's like cars. You can have a nice brand new car so why would you want a 1964 Corvette without the newer technology and computers? Because it's cool! :p

Reactions: surge and Lowman
With me it's just an appreciation for the mechanical timepiece. I rarely carry a cell phone - hate them - so I do actually use a watch. I prefer mechanical over quartz, again for the complexity of the movement. I also use fountain pens when there are modern ballpoints, gel pens, etc. because I like the way they write and feel. I guess it's like cars. You can have a nice brand new car so why would you want a 1964 Corvette without the newer technology and computers? Because it's cool! :p
Well you explained it perfectly. You also illustrated how we differ. One of my buddies here at work is BIG into restoring classic cars. He has spent a untold fortune trying to get his Galaxy and GTO back to showroom quality. I always ask him why? You see those cars are not really that good from a performance perspective (Even fully done back to good as new). A ford focus will beat them around a track!
Why would you want a 64 Vette when the new Stingray is the best performing car they have ever made? I think it all boils down to one word...Nostalgia. That is not a bad thing it is just something I don't have. Give me the new car. I'll take a 458 Ferrari over a 308 any day BUT that is just me. I do understand now though.

Reactions: Seahunter and surge
Thought you might get a kick out of this. As if $24 million isn't bad enough for a watch, how about an $8 million pen? According to one source, here is the most expensive fountain pen, ballpoint, and pencil. Watch and pen collecting can be an insane venture as illustrated here. It's just wrong that for the price of these first two you could buy multiple houses, cars, and still be set up for life! And this much money for something you can accomplish - writing - with a 20-cent Bic!

Most Expensive Pen
pen.jpg

It may seem like they are becoming increasingly obsolete with humanity’s shift toward computers, yet there are still many people around the world who value a good pen! The current title holder for the world’s most expensive pen is the Fulgor Nocturnus by the famous pen-makers Tibaldi of Florence. This fountain pen sold for $8 million in a 2010 auction in Shanghai, China.

So what’s so special about the Fulgor Nocturnus that makes it about 8 million times more expensive than your average Bic pen? It was created based on the Divine Proportions of Phi, so the ratio between the cap and the visible portion of the barrel when the pen is closed is equal to the phi ration 1.618. In addition to its divine shape, the pen is decorated with 945 black diamonds and 123 rubies.

Most Expensive Ball Point Pen
ballpoint.jpg

Fountain pens can be messy, so if you’re looking for an extremely expensive writing utensil that won’t get ink all over your hand look no further than the Mont Blanc Ball Point! For just $730,000 this pen is a steal in comparison with the Fulgor Nocturnus. It’s beauty is complemented by stunning jewelry art.

Most Expensive Pencil
alg-perfect-pencil2-jpg.jpg

If you’re prone to mistakes though you might be more interested in the world’s most expensive pencil: a limited edition of the Graf von Faber-Castell Perfect Pencil. At $12,800 this classic pencil is crafted with 240 year-old olive wood and 18-carat white gold, and includes a handy built-in eraser and sharpener! Not to be outdone by the world’s most expensive pens, it also features three diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.