Why did Van Halen's contract rider said no brown m and m's ?

jadamz

the Countess
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score

Oh! Oh! I know this one! I thought it was brilliant! I won't spoil it and will let others guess, but yup! Smart move on the band's part.

It had nothing to do with brown M&Ms. It was all about the Ryder. The Ryder is basically a list of things that the act wants or needs. Most venues don’t pay attention to it so they to make sure that the Ryder was read thoroughly. They included remove all brown M&Ms. It was really a joke, but if they discovered that it wasn’t done, this meant the venue didn’t read it and as a result, their rooms backstage would usually get trashed. Having worked in the live concert industry for 16 years, I know all about these kind of things.

thanks! The more you know....

Reactions: Debi
It had nothing to do with brown M&Ms. It was all about the Ryder. The Ryder is basically a list of things that the act wants or needs. Most venues don’t pay attention to it so they to make sure that the Ryder was read thoroughly. They included remove all brown M&Ms. It was really a joke, but if they discovered that it wasn’t done, this meant the venue didn’t read it and as a result, their rooms backstage would usually get trashed. Having worked in the live concert industry for 16 years, I know all about these kind of things.
wow, nothing like insider info.

Reactions: jadamz
wow, nothing like insider info.
I take the part back where most venues dont read it. They do some skim...thru it and think it will be fine. I've had to pick things up at walmart, popeyes, etc. The demands usually aren't bad. Towels, Cokes, beer, snacks, etc.

Reactions: Lynne
I take the part back where most venues dont read it. They do some skim...thru it and think it will be fine. I've had to pick things up at walmart, popeyes, etc. The demands usually aren't bad. Towels, Cokes, beer, snacks, etc.
Sounds like an interesting job, I bet you got to meet a lot of celebrities.

Sounds like an interesting job, I bet you got to meet a lot of celebrities.
Not too many. I've been around or passed many! The general rule of thumb is you dont really talk to the talent. I mean, blatantly approach them. However, if they talk to you then, its on. Some are cool, some are primadonnas! Believe me! The 2 coolest ones by far was Kid Rock and Willie Nelson!

Reactions: Lynne

best worst celeb experience?
Lets see. The Godsmack road crew were complete....A-Holes. In 2004, Elton John played a bill with Billy Joel. When he came out, we all had to turn around and face the wall as to Not...look at him!
Her Highness....Diana Ross didn't like the color of the walls backstage so, we were ordered to pipe and drape nearly 150' all the way to her backstage dressing room!